My official new copy of Sonic Adventure 2 doesn't work

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum
User avatar
Y-Stylzz
shadow
Posts: 7

My official new copy of Sonic Adventure 2 doesn't work

Post#1 » Sat May 05, 2018 12:41 pm

Sorry for making a new topic for this, but nobody replied in the other one I made.

A few days earlier, my Dreamcast didn't read any burned games. Official games worked just fine (except for Sonic Adventure 2). After calibrating the laser the burned games now work again and the official games still work just fine, but Sonic Adventure 2 still doesn't work.

The game actually does boot up, but it never goes past the Sega and Sonic Team logo's. The screen will stay black. After calibrating the laser there is actually a difference. The game now also shows the SA2 logo intro, but without sound. After that, the screen stays white (or black if you skip the intro).

The game is an official copy and is in perfect condition, so what causes this? Is my laser still not good enough, or is my copy broken?

User avatar
Xiden
Outrun
Posts: 1193

Re: My official new copy of Sonic Adventure 2 doesn't work

Post#2 » Sat May 05, 2018 1:11 pm

Sounds like you need a new laser unfortunately. Personally, if you have the funds I recommend investing in a Usb-GDrom, Gdemu, or even do a hard drive mod.

Are you sure SA2 is not s reproduction? Do you see a outer ring on the disc when you turn it upside down?

User avatar
Y-Stylzz
shadow
Posts: 7

Re: My official new copy of Sonic Adventure 2 doesn't work

Post#3 » Sat May 05, 2018 4:36 pm

Xiden wrote:Sounds like you need a new laser unfortunately. Personally, if you have the funds I recommend investing in a Usb-GDrom, Gdemu, or even do a hard drive mod.

Are you sure SA2 is not s reproduction? Do you see a outer ring on the disc when you turn it upside down?


Thanks for replying.

I don't want to modify my console and I want to use my official game discs, so I'll go for a new laser then. However, there are tons of different lasers available on the internet. What would be a good one to use?

About SA2, It says "TRADEMARK SEGA" on the back of the disc, so I'm pretty sure it's a legit copy. I also don't see the outer ring you speak of.

User avatar
DR TEAMCAST
Rank 9
Posts: 982
Contact:

Re: My official new copy of Sonic Adventure 2 doesn't work

Post#4 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:12 pm

Y-Stylzz wrote:The game actually does boot up, but it never goes past the Sega and Sonic Team logo's. The screen will stay black. After calibrating the laser there is actually a difference. The game now also shows the SA2 logo intro, but without sound. After that, the screen stays white (or black if you skip the intro).

this is the key detail. the game's executable was run and loaded to memory from disc. so your disc drive isn't the issue (if it does indeed do what you say)

so was this disc "NEW"? or did you mean you got it used, but to you, its a new game?

I ask because this only happens when you have a really scratched disc. the no sound thing is strange too. either your disc is messed up or somebody gave your dreamcast a bath :lol:
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

User avatar
Y-Stylzz
shadow
Posts: 7

Re: My official new copy of Sonic Adventure 2 doesn't work

Post#5 » Sat May 05, 2018 10:04 pm

DR TEAMCAST wrote:
Y-Stylzz wrote:The game actually does boot up, but it never goes past the Sega and Sonic Team logo's. The screen will stay black. After calibrating the laser there is actually a difference. The game now also shows the SA2 logo intro, but without sound. After that, the screen stays white (or black if you skip the intro).

this is the key detail. the game's executable was run and loaded to memory from disc. so your disc drive isn't the issue (if it does indeed do what you say)

so was this disc "NEW"? or did you mean you got it used, but to you, its a new game?

I ask because this only happens when you have a really scratched disc. the no sound thing is strange too. either your disc is messed up or somebody gave your dreamcast a bath :lol:


Well, the game is actually not new. It's used, but in perfect condition. There are no scratches on the disc at all.

User avatar
The-Amazing-Mr_V
Sunday Shootout
Posts: 652

Re: My official new copy of Sonic Adventure 2 doesn't work

Post#6 » Sat May 05, 2018 10:45 pm

Possibly re surfaced? I had a sonic adventure game simple not work also. Disc looked mint. I ended up getting another copy and now it all works.

User avatar
DarkSynbios
chill
Posts: 299
Contact:

Re: My official new copy of Sonic Adventure 2 doesn't work

Post#7 » Sun May 06, 2018 2:27 am

Possibly some fail production from factory who pressed DC games back then. I bought 10 ntsc u games back in 2003 from Liksang and 3 of them it was failed to read from Dreamcast.

User avatar
Y-Stylzz
shadow
Posts: 7

Re: My official new copy of Sonic Adventure 2 doesn't work

Post#8 » Sun May 06, 2018 9:18 am

The-Amazing-Mr_V wrote:Possibly re surfaced? I had a sonic adventure game simple not work also. Disc looked mint. I ended up getting another copy and now it all works.


I don't think the game is resurfaced. I have actually some resurfaced original Xbox games and if you take a close look, you can defenitely tell, but I can't see any signs of resurfacing on Sonic Adventure 2.

DarkSynbios wrote:Possibly some fail production from factory who pressed DC games back then. I bought 10 ntsc u games back in 2003 from Liksang and 3 of them it was failed to read from Dreamcast.


Yeah, I think this might be the case then. I actually just downloaded SA2 and burned it on a disc to see if that works and it actually plays perfectly. Looks like I need to contact that seller on eBay.

User avatar
The-Amazing-Mr_V
Sunday Shootout
Posts: 652

Re: My official new copy of Sonic Adventure 2 doesn't work

Post#9 » Sun May 06, 2018 11:24 am

Y-Stylzz wrote:
Yeah, I think this might be the case then. I actually just downloaded SA2 and burned it on a disc to see if that works and it actually plays perfectly. Looks like I need to contact that seller on eBay.


I don't think this is the first time this has happened with this game.

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Support”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users