"Unable to load the requested document" (DreamPi won't go online)

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

JohnBatman
shadow

"Unable to load the requested document" (DreamPi won't go online)

Post#1 » Wed May 30, 2018 12:31 am

I bought a Dreamcast Live modem with the integrated voltage inducer and have been trying to use it with a brand new Raspberry Pi 2 model B, with no luck. (I don't know if this is relevant but I originally tried to use the modem via the PC-DC method, and I could load websites on the web browser, but I gave up on trying to get any games to work.)

I've flashed and re-flashed DreamPi on two separate SD cards multiple times, but this is what happens with both:

Both get that "Not running dhcpcd" message every time. The two lights on the modem light up, and the web browser claims it's online, but I can't load any websites. I get an "Unable to load the requested document" message after a couple of minutes (on the browser; nothing happens on the Pi beyond the "login" part).

Don't know if this matters, but I'm using an Anker Powercore 13000 portable battery for power.

Any help would be appreciated! Really want to play Toy Racers online.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: "Unable to load the requested document" (DreamPi won't go online)

Post#2 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:20 am

It definitely sounds like some sort of network-related issue but I'm not sure exactly what. Those DHCP errors are normal though.

I would take a look at the log file and see if anything stands out as unusual. You can open it by logging in (with 'pi' as the username and 'raspberry' as the password) and typing 'sudo pico /var/log/syslog'. After pressing Enter, the log document should open. You can scroll up and down with the arrow keys and skip to the bottom of the document by pressing Ctrl + /.

P.S. I'm guessing your problem with the PC-DC server was a DNS-related issue since you were able to load webpages but weren't able to connect with games. The DNS needs to be set to 46.101.91.123 in order to properly redirect the games to the new servers.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

JohnBatman
shadow

Post#3 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:19 pm

Thanks for the response and the clear instructions (I'm completely new to Linux).

I re-flashed again to make the log shorter. Here are some bits that seemed connection-related (sorry about the pictures, my capture card is giving me an "out of range" error):

I was trying to go to Google with the browser at the end.

About my PC-DC attempts, I did set DNS to 46.101.91.123, but nothing happened. I only tried Toy Racers and Quake III before giving up, though. I figured if I want to convince my Dreamcast-owning friends to try this, they'll probably want to use the simplest method so I should familiarize myself with it.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:31 pm

Hmmm, it certainly seems like it's working. That last image shows that the Pi is directing traffic back and forth from the Dreamcast and out to the internet. Have you tried any games? It could just be that the browser isn't able to load the pages. It's not all that unusual due to the browser being so outdated.
PSO Characters:

JohnBatman
shadow

Post#5 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:18 pm

I just tried Toy Racers and Quake III, and no luck. TR takes a while and Quake fails right away, so maybe I'm just filling up the form wrong (I'm using the same settings as the web browser). What's a good game for testing the online connection? I'm probably gonna end up burning all the online games anyway.

Since it seems like the Pi is going online, I'm gonna try downloading/installing the drivers for my USB wifi adapter (a TP-Link AC600) and see if that changes anything.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#6 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:52 pm

Does Quake give you a "Server Failure. Connection Closed" error? I just remembered someone else had that same exact issue along with the same "Unable to load requested document" error in the browser. He did get it to work but unfortunately he doesn't know how. lol He did try a different web browser disc so maybe it is some sort of configuration problem.
PSO Characters:

JohnBatman
shadow

Post#7 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:56 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:Does Quake give you a "Server Failure. Connection Closed" error?

Yep, that's exactly it.

I was using Planetweb so I tried XDP and the websites don't load either. The error message this time is: "The host could not be found. There is a problem with the network or the URL is incorrect." The settings seem to be in order:

Is there another browser besides those two?

By the way, I doubt the modem adapter is the problem since like I said, I was able to load websites with the PC-DC method.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#8 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:15 am

That is so strange. In the case of Quake, it's not even attempting to connect. You could unplug the phone cable from the Dreamcast and you would get the same error. I would try re-configuring the Dreamcast using the PlanetWeb option from the XDP main menu. You could try using 46.101.91.123 and 8.8.8.8 as the DNS servers.
PSO Characters:

Xiden
Developer

Post#9 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:29 am

Curious, what are your modem AT command settings? Wondering if those got botched some how

JohnBatman
shadow

Post#10 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:47 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:I would try re-configuring the Dreamcast using the PlanetWeb option from the XDP main menu. You could try using 46.101.91.123 and 8.8.8.8 as the DNS servers.

Tried re-entering the normal DNS servers and using those, no luck with either.

One of those attempts produced this message in my modem's SNMP Event Log: "Dynamic Range Window violation"

Xiden wrote:Curious, what are your modem AT command settings? Wondering if those got botched some how

Is there another name for this? I went through all the settings on my modem and didn't find anything with that name or close.