Dreamcast Live USB Modem not working

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Caprese
shadow

Dreamcast Live USB Modem not working

Post#1 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:00 pm

Recently I purchased a USB Modem from Dreamcast Live that has the built in line voltage inducer in it. I got it in the mail today, followed a setup guide for Dreampi on YouTube, and was playing PSO and Chu Chu Rocket just fine for about 30 minutes, then the line disconnected randomly. I took a break and came back to find that my USB Modem started acting up and now I can't establish a connection at all. One of the lights flash on and off at random intervals and the second light isn't working at all now. Moving the modem around seems to trigger flashing randomly too. I followed the troubleshooting options from http://www.dreamcastlive.net/troubleshooting.html like disabling the firewall on my Dreampi's IP and I'm still having problems trying to get both lights to light up. I've also reflashed the Dreampi image to my micro SD card twice now. I don't know what to do and I don't want my money to go to waste D:

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Dreamcast Live USB Modem not working

Post#2 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:08 pm

It sounds like a power issue of some sort. Either your Pi isn't supplying enough power to the USB modem or the USB modem is defective. You can always send it back to me for testing if you want. I guarantee everything. :-)
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Caprese
shadow

Post#3 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:21 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:It sounds like a power issue of some sort. Either your Pi isn't supplying enough power to the USB modem or the USB modem is defective. You can always send it back to me for testing if you want. I guarantee everything. :-)

At the moment I'm going to keep troubleshooting to the best of my ability. If I can't get it back working in 3 days I'll have to take you up on that offer. I'll post my findings here as time goes on. Currently I'm setting up a different power supply as you suggested.

Caprese
shadow

Post#4 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:48 pm

Update 8/6/18 - 23:42
Im able to connect online again. I looked at the instructions for the Raspberry Pi regarding power supply, and saw that the adapter I was using doesn't provide as many amps as the could handle maximum, so I unplugged everything from the pi (keyboard, mouse, HDMI connection) and it seems to work now. I'm assuming the pi couldn't properly power the modem because it only had so much energy to spare powering everything plugged in.

I'm going to test how long I'm able to stay online to see if I encounter any more disconnection problems (I switched to Dreampi because I was having random dcs while using dial up). So far, I managed to maintain a connection for over an hour before I had to leave somewhere. Everything is looking good but I'll post more updates if I come across anything else about the modem.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#5 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:54 pm

You "could" try a "powered" USB hub but I do not know how the Raspberry Pi would handle/recognize the hub. To note, I apologize for not knowing this being it is unexplored territory for me. I'm sure PCwzrd13 could help you, PM him direct.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#6 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:52 am

Caprese wrote:Update 8/6/18 - 23:42
Im able to connect online again. I looked at the instructions for the Raspberry Pi regarding power supply, and saw that the adapter I was using doesn't provide as many amps as the could handle maximum, so I unplugged everything from the pi (keyboard, mouse, HDMI connection) and it seems to work now. I'm assuming the pi couldn't properly power the modem because it only had so much energy to spare powering everything plugged in.

Glad you got it working! The power supply should be at least 1A minimum. Typically most Pi power supplies are 2.5A-3A.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Post#7 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:48 pm

Bob Dobbs wrote:You "could" try a "powered" USB hub but I do not know how the Raspberry Pi would handle/recognize the hub. To note, I apologize for not knowing this being it is unexplored territory for me. I'm sure PCwzrd13 could help you, PM him direct.

You are right, this kind of hub works fine and helps a lot to the Raspberry. The pi is so weak talking about giving power via usb and is very important to feed correct power to each model of device.

For this reason, i feed the LVI from the usb of the TV hahahha.
Be Dreamcast My Friend!!!