Help with Japanese DC

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

carlangas
noob

Help with Japanese DC

Post#1 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:57 pm

I will try to make a long story short... I live in Europe and I got a Japanese DC, but stupid me I forgot about the voltage difference and I turned on the console immediately. You know what it comes after: smoke, noise, and a terrible burning smell. I turn off the console.

The other day I got a voltage transformer and tried to turn the console on again. To my surprise, it "worked". The light indicating the console is on works. Dreamcast logo... even the main menu! I can't believe it. The problem is... as soon as I try to close the lid, the image disappears from the TV. It's not that the console resets with the lid closed; it's that the image won't show. As long as I open it, the image comes back again. I don't have to close it completely for the image to disappear, just a little.

So, the questions are:

1) What could have happened when I first turned on the console? What's the worst thing that can happen. Can it be fixed?
2) Why does it still "work" and what's wrong with the lid and the image?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Xiden
Developer

Re: Help with Japanese DC

Post#2 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:31 pm

carlangas wrote:I will try to make a long story short... I live in Europe and I got a Japanese DC, but stupid me I forgot about the voltage difference and I turned on the console immediately. You know what it comes after: smoke, noise, and a terrible burning smell. I turn off the console.

The other day I got a voltage transformer and tried to turn the console on again. To my surprise, it "worked". The light indicating the console is on works. Dreamcast logo... even the main menu! I can't believe it. The problem is... as soon as I try to close the lid, the image disappears from the TV. It's not that the console resets with the lid closed; it's that the image won't show. As long as I open it, the image comes back again. I don't have to close it completely for the image to disappear, just a little.

So, the questions are:

1) What could have happened when I first turned on the console? What's the worst thing that can happen. Can it be fixed?
2) Why does it still "work" and what's wrong with the lid and the image?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Well I would think you probably at the very least would of blown a fuse in the Dreamcast and that needs to be replaced. You might need to check to see if your fuse is broken and if so replace it http://vrai.net/retro/?p=172. Hopefully the problems are just linked to the PSU and didnt go beyond that by blowing other capacitors on the board or worse the chips. If the chips are damaged you're screwed, but the caps can be replaced.