VGA to DVI anyone

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

VGA to DVI anyone

Post#1 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:38 pm

Yello!

I was wondering may this do the trick? https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2397

That like a simple passthrough

Also needed a secondary DreamPi for other display! Does this RJ11 do the trick https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id= ... 8&p_id=928

Data not voice I take it?, too bad can't have shorter than seven foot don't think

Thank ye kindly!

Roareye
Rank 9

Re: VGA to DVI anyone

Post#2 » Thu May 02, 2019 1:55 am

The VGA to DVI adapter may not work without a converter. While the cables will connect fine, VGA is an analogue signal whereas DVI is digital (an early HDMI style signal) and that adapter won't convert the signal, simply pass it through. That means the VGA signal will still be VGA on the other side and the screen will likely not understand it.

Roel
Developer

Post#3 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:18 am

I'm afraid I have to correct you there, Roareye. DVI is designed to carry both digital and analog signals. The analog signal (DVI-A) is 100% VGA-compatible. The screen should understand it just fine if it adheres to the DVI-I standard.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#4 » Thu May 02, 2019 10:05 am

It varies depending on the display. If the monitor still accepts DVI-A then it should work fine, but I've found most modern monitors etc ignore the Analog standard and go only for the digital one. I used one of these on a monitor that had DVI but not DVI-A connectivity, and wasn't able to get a picture.

But if the screen accepts DVI-A then it will work, you're correct Roel.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Thu May 02, 2019 10:05 pm

Hum this particular set is dated September 2002

Here is hoping cheers much

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Tue May 14, 2019 1:20 pm

Welp.. not doing it

Does the cord itself actually have to be DVI-A or supports all? I search for it but always something else on the other end

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#7 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:18 pm

The TV/monitor's DVI port needs to support VGA. Look up the manual online. You cannot always go by the DVI female connector on the back unless you see it is missing the four pins on the one side that is not with the other group of pins.

Types of DVI connections:
DVI-I = Pins for both VGA and DVI on TV/monitor to allow both cable types but may NOT support VGA.

DVI-A = Pins for both VGA and DVI on TV/monitor to allow both cable types and DOES support VGA as well as DVI.

DVI-D = Pins for DVI signal only on TV/monitor but will not support or allow any other cable but a DVI-D cable to connect.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Return to “Support”