DreamPi No Dial-tone Error

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

codad1
shadow

DreamPi No Dial-tone Error

Post#1 » Thu May 02, 2019 6:41 pm

Hello, I have recently purchased a DreamPi, a Dell NW147 56k modem, and a phone line cable all in the hopes to connect my dreamcast to the internet, but for some reason after setting it up, I get a no dialtone error back from the Dreamcast, any help please ?

codad1
shadow

Re: DreamPi No Dial-tone Error

Post#2 » Thu May 02, 2019 7:54 pm

ALSO: I have tried 3 different phone cables which I know are working, and they wont work.
but could someone explain to me how to check if the LVI works ? Please a picture or something because those instructions just don't make sense

Xiden
Developer

Post#3 » Thu May 02, 2019 9:32 pm

codad1 wrote:ALSO: I have tried 3 different phone cables which I know are working, and they wont work.
but could someone explain to me how to check if the LVI works ? Please a picture or something because those instructions just don't make sense

Are both lights turning green in the modem before you dial? Does your modem have a line voltage inducer installed? You must have line voltage or it will not work.

codad1
shadow

Post#4 » Thu May 02, 2019 10:00 pm

Xiden wrote:
codad1 wrote:ALSO: I have tried 3 different phone cables which I know are working, and they wont work.

Are both lights turning green in the modem before you dial? Does your modem have a line voltage inducer installed? You must have line voltage or it will not work.

Yes, both lines turn green, and yes it has a LVI built in, its the one that DreamPi's website reccomends.

Xiden
Developer

Post#5 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:45 am

codad1 wrote:
Xiden wrote:

Yes, both lines turn green, and yes it has a LVI built in, its the one that DreamPi's website reccomends.

When u start dialing do u see one of the lights on the modem turn off, then turn back on after a few seconds? Try unpluging and re-seat your modem.

Verify all your browser settings with https://youtu.be/VgRLnj2YR3s

If u can maybe reflash dreampi 1.7 on the raspberry pi

If after you've double checked everything it could be either a LVI issue or possibly.. but less likely, a faulty dreamcast modem. If you bought it from dreamcastlive just send a pm to pcwzrd13 and he for sure van help ya out.

codad1
shadow

Post#6 » Fri May 03, 2019 3:39 pm

Alright, I'll try that, and yes one light on my modem flashes off and then back on. Like the modem starts up with both lights on for a second and then one light is on for a few seconds before both come back on.

codad1
shadow

Post#7 » Sat May 04, 2019 5:20 pm

Nope, didn't work sadly\

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#8 » Sat May 04, 2019 5:45 pm

if both lights are on im pretty sure its working...

Xiden
Developer

Post#9 » Sat May 04, 2019 5:47 pm

Do you have another dreamcast you can test with. Seems like dreampi is fine. Maybe try turning blind dial on?

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#10 » Fri May 10, 2019 1:37 am

I got a similar problem. Before I was able to web browse with an ethernet cable but unable to game. Then My lens has trouble so I sent it in for repairs. I also ordered a removable battery which he didn't do.

Now I get a no-dial-tone error. And the modem has a green light when plugged into the Macintosh, but not when plugged in the Dreampi. I assume the modem gets 2 green lights before dialing into the dreamcast, and now that they're not showing up, s something wrong with either my dreampi or dreamcast. I tried it with both a Vonets Wi Fi device as well as a direct Ethernet hookup. Did something happen to the dreampi or software where it's not powering the modem?

By the way, I did not build it. I traded for a homemade one on Gametz.com and now it seems like it doesn't work after the Dreamcast repair, even though I didn't mail it in to the shop.