Retro Bright - Whitening the console

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Flavio-Neves
shadow

Retro Bright - Whitening the console

Post#1 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:02 am

Hello guys,

I did a quick search and found some old posts, I didn't want to revive an old one, there are people that doesn't like it.

As many of your guys, I have a yellowing problem with my beloved DC.

I found this article:
http://www.retr0bright.com/

And a lot of videos on Youtube about it:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... tro+bright

The question here is, anyone here did it? It does some kind of damage or print removal after some time?

Sorry if I opened this post in the wrong session.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Retro Bright - Whitening the console

Post#2 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:05 am

I've done it many times. Works great and doesn't hurt the logos or anything like that. See my Dreamcast refurbishing video below which includes the whitening process.

PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Flavio-Neves
shadow

Post#3 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:10 am

Nice! I'm watching it right now. So if it doesn't damage the logos and printing, I'll do it as soon as the winter is gone here.

Thank you :)

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#4 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:02 am

Put the shell in a dishwasher, you’ll be amazed by the result
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:49 pm

I am actually setting my parts DC's super yellowed shell outside for the past 2 days directly in the July Texas sun. Believe it or not people are setting them outside under direct sunlight to amazing results. It is the inside UV light from certain types of light bulbs yellowing them in addition to the sun. Also some forms of UV rays are filtered through window glass causing the yellowing as well, so setting out in direct sunlight for a few days will brighten them back up. Think how bones and certain other plastics bleach in the sun, same effect.

This video convinced me to do mine. By day 2 it is almost back to it's original color.

I know this sounds counter intuitive, but it actually works.

Flavio-Neves
shadow

Post#6 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:52 pm

Pretty good, you guys made my mind. I'll give it a shot. Thank you all :)

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#7 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:13 pm

Anthony817 wrote:I am actually setting my parts DC's super yellowed shell outside for the past 2 days directly in the July Texas sun. Believe it or not people are setting them outside under direct sunlight to amazing results

DO NOT DO THIS! Without using chemicals you can severely damage the plastic's integrity, making it brittle. Whoever came up with this idea is spreading bad information and has no idea of the science behind this.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Flavio-Neves
shadow

Post#8 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:16 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
Anthony817 wrote:I am actually setting my parts DC's super yellowed shell outside for the past 2 days directly in the July Texas sun. Believe it or not people are setting them outside under direct sunlight to amazing results

DO NOT DO THIS! Without using chemicals you can severely damage the plastic's integrity, making it brittle. Whoever came up with this idea is spreading bad information and has no idea of the science behind this.

Oh, I didn't spected that. Thank you for this advise. I'll follow your YouTube video to make sure nothing goes wrong.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#9 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:01 pm

It will be ok lol, 2 or 3 days isn't the same as leaving them out in the sun for months. If you seen how yellowed mine was you would understand. Also, like I said this is my PARTS DC lol, not my main daily driver, so not as concerned about it. It would take a lot longer than 2 or 3 days to get brittle. I have an old 1980's fan made of ABS plastic left in direct sunlight for the past 3 years outside and it is still pretty sturdy.