GDEmu disc swap process question

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

GDEmu disc swap process question

Post#1 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:00 am

I believe d2 is the only game that requires mid disc swap without a save before swapping, if you were to come back to another disc later instead of right away. Maybe from googling skies of Arcadia is liket this as well

on shenmue when I go from disc 1 to 2, I pressed the button on the PCB next to the SD card and it booted back to gdmenu and selected disc2 in the list of titles, not sure if that was continuously handled tho or if this will work for a game like d2? Was hard to tell considering it saves the game2 start save to VMU before so its not the best test like d2 and skies.

am I supposed to press the button and it should automatically boot into the next disc? or its normal to go to gdmenu and you confirm the disc?

If it isn’t working how would i go about fixing it? I use the easy windows app to drag and manage stuff, and the clone is not fw updatable so would i just be screwed for those types of games?

RetrogamerX
rebel

Re: GDEmu disc swap process question

Post#2 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:42 am

I would like to know this as well. Been looking all over the Internet on how to swap discs in D2 on gdemu clone
Last edited by RetrogamerX on Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#3 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:36 am

Now i could be wrong but you have to change the ini file to longer time some one told me.. but i dont think this game can be played proper on a gdemu?

from what ive been told
Skies has a 100% crash, if you leave it on the opening demo cut-scene (can be skipped). D2 has inconsistent swap code when running with the ODE i.e does not recognize the swap of discs when it prompts the user (50/50 rate sometimes).

RetrogamerX
rebel

Post#4 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:03 am

Ian Micheal wrote:Now i could be wrong but you have to change the ini file to longer time some one told me.. but i dont think this game can be played proper on a gdemu?

from what ive been told
Skies has a 100% crash, if you leave it on the opening demo cut-scene (can be skipped). D2 has inconsistent swap code when running with the ODE i.e does not recognize the swap of discs when it prompts the user (50/50 rate sometimes).

Thanks for the info.

I was going to sell my USB-GDRom and just use the GDEMU as my daily ode, but D2 and Skies of Arcadia are a few of my favourites I can't live without. I think I'll keep my USB-GDRom and just have the GDEMU as my backup.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#5 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:15 pm

Doesn't SOA let you save the game when it's time to use disc 2? Just save and power cycle when you swap discs.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Post#6 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:34 pm

Yeah as mentioned just intro video freezes if you let it run through all of it

On d2, given disc swap on the fly is 50/50, I’m curious how long the last save is before being prompted to enter disc2,3 and 4 for those very familiar with the game

Are we talking 15 minutes or hours of play

Xiden
Developer

Post#7 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:36 pm

I found what seems to be a 100% reliable way to disc swap on D2 with a clone GDEMU.

You will need 4 sd-cards (find some cheap ones) one for each disc. Or just put disc 1 on your main SD card with games, however you wish to do it :)

Disc 2 - 4 need to be on individual SD cards in the 01 folder.
When it asks you to swap, take out the SD-Card, wait about 10 seconds then insert SD-Card with Disc 2 and it should boot into without any issues :)

I've tested it 10 times in a row without issues!

Also I'm sure as Ian said you could just mod the ini file to have longer opening and detect times to fix it as well but I haven't tested that.

Xiden
Developer

Post#8 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:04 pm

Follow up... I tested changing the GDEMU.ini settings

open_time = 2000
detect_time = 2000

seemed to also work. I tried it twice and seemed to work fine as well. Just press the button and wait a few seconds and it should work :)

mickael303134
noob

Post#9 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:11 am

Hi Xidon,

changing the parameter as follow open_time = 2000 / detect_time = 2000 in the .ini file worked for me!!!!! congrats !!!! Now I push the button a few seconds (two seconds I guess..) and it changes to the next rom!

19SULLY67
shadow

Post#10 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:30 pm

Hey folks!!! I tried this SD card swap thing, didn't work. I'm playing Alone In The Dark-The New Nightmare. Here's what I did: I reformatted a 32gb card I have ( correct format, Fat 32 and is SDHC 10 which is supported ) I used SD Card Maker and put the CDI for disc 2 on it, but Card Maker kept adding the GDEMU folder 1 and the ini for GDEMU, didn't work, so I put back in my computer and took GDEMU folder and GDEMU Ini both off the card and renamed the game disc 2 folder, to folder 01 and I did exactly what you said, I got to the part where it says open the lid and put in disc 2, I opened, took out my 64gb card with all my games on it, waited like 10 seconds, put the 32gb disc with ONLY folder 01 containing disc 2 of Alone In The Dark The New Nightmare and once it was in closed the lid and waited and waited and waited for like 5 minutes, tried a few times, nothing. I am a computer tech, nit coder or anything else like that, unless you count DOS and .bat files!! So, I do not have any idea how to change the Ini file for the game????? Am I missing something? Should I not use SD card Maker and just copy the disc 2 CDI for the game directly to the SD card with Windows? Please help!!
Any help would be great!!!!
[email protected]
Thank You!!!
PS: I have a GDEMU Clone v. 5.15b, I did my homework before purchasing and 5.15b us way better than 5.15, it has same chipset as original, is updatable and had a way better SD slot on the GDEMU, I use a top piece 3d printed tay, so no need to reach for the swap button, it's right there on the top when I open the lid. Oh yea, I tried the swap button too, no luck.
SULLY