What is the maximum size for flashcarts on GDemu (clone)?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

gjb1985
drunken sailor

What is the maximum size for flashcarts on GDemu (clone)?

Post#1 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:22 am

I just received my GDemu clone and I read on the official website 32 gb is the maximum size, but I see all over youtube people using larger carts, even 200 gb. What should I do?

gjb1985
drunken sailor

Re: What is the maximum size for flashcarts on GDemu (clone)?

Post#2 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:31 am

also another important question. I have over 200 dreamcast games. Mostly pal and many savefiles of course. I'm I set if I find pal gdi formats to be compatible with my vmu save files? How about shenmue 1 undub. Will it work on shenmue 2 pal save file?

and does using gdmenu make the games load faster, or appear faster in the menu when starting the dreamcast?

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#3 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:53 am

I don't own a GDEMU, so my knowledge is limited. However from watching Youtubers with them it does appear that GDEMU loads faster than a disc (not by any massive leaps, but noticeable enough - especially with Shenmue).

As for your other questions I'm afraid I don't know. I know that almost every game's saves are region locked, so you can't use a PAL Sonic Adventure save with a Japanese game (although the DLC is region free, oddly enough. There are some exceptions, but you're better off with games from the same region as the saves.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#4 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:37 am

Gdemu is much faster as the laser does not have to move from inner part of a disk or outer no time for the laser to move so for loading files is much faster depending on the game how it was made

poopidoop
MegaDeath

Post#5 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:12 pm

you just need to format the larger cards from ExFat to Fat32
i use a 64gb sd for now, wish i had a larger one but thats all i did, format the card to fat32

https://gdemu.wordpress.com/details/

you can use whatever region games you want, SD card maker lets you choose region or remove it i think, i play pal and jap games no problem on a north america console.

the load times on games are greatly reduced. games like soldier of fortune which have notoriously long load times load so much faster.

if there are any more questions just ask. i would also recommend getting dream explorer from here https://bswirl.kitsunet.org/vmutool/rel ... en&menu=on and putting that on the sd card also, great tool that lets you unlock another like 40 blocks per vmu. lots of saves for pretty much every game things like that

gjb1985
drunken sailor

Post#6 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:18 pm

Thank you, but there are also regional differences in games that the program can't detect right? If I download the pal shenmue 1 gdi, how could it change in the japanese one?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:29 pm

2TB is the size limit. Fat32 hard limit is 2TB. People have successfully tested 512gb SD cards, and 1TB cards are now available as well. You just have to pay out the fucking wazoo for one.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme- ... B07PBY4VD5

Roareye wrote:I don't own a GDEMU, so my knowledge is limited. However from watching Youtubers with them it does appear that GDEMU loads faster than a disc (not by any massive leaps, but noticeable enough - especially with Shenmue).

Actually, Soldier of Fortune, the game notorious for the longest load times, clocks in at about 2.5 minutes on average for the longest levels with original GDROM disc. With GDEMU you load them up in an average of 10 seconds or under. I would say that is a massive leap. Half-Life, a game also having notoriously longer load times than the average game, does load up levels much faster as well. An average of 15 or so seconds for normal disc loading down to well under 10. Not as massive of a difference, but still it helps.

Check out a side by side of the game SOF loading up.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#8 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:27 pm

also just an example homebrew like openbor on gdrom can take 10 to 15 mins to load about 2 to 5 on gdemu or less

gjb1985
drunken sailor

Post#9 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:13 pm

ok it seems to work. Now I need full gdi's. I seem to only find like 800 mb versions that don't pop in gdemu up and miss a lot of information. I know I can rip my original games, but I wonder if I rim my pal skies of arcadia I can play it in vga? Can anyone help me with a place where to find full roms, perhaps in pm?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:29 pm

Dreamcast TOSEC GDI's full set 2019.

https://archive.org/details/@manydumpedgames

Just click the torrent link on each page and let it download each part you want in the background. I highly recommend having a dedicated HDD for this as it is easily over 500gb for the complete st.