Battery mod woes. My DC keeps time only for a few days

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Re: Battery mod woes. My DC keeps time only for a few days

Post#11 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:50 pm

fafadou wrote:Yeah change your CR-2032 but for dreamcast the best is LIR2032 rechargeable model.

Yeah dont get an LIR2032 as its rated at 3.6v instead of 3v so the dreamcast can not fully charge it. I used this battery for a while but found it would only stay charged for about a week without leaving the Dreamcast on.

I changed to ML2032 about 4 years and have never needed to re-enter the time/date unless I disconnect the controller board for doing maintenance or some kind of mod.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

ERVOSCV
Anarki

Post#12 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:33 pm

Anonymouse wrote:I changed to ML2032 about 4 years and have never needed to re-enter the time/date unless I disconnect the controller board for doing maintenance or some kind of mod.

I have a few Dreamcasts and last year I did the same battery mod and controller board fuse replacement on all of them. I only use two of my DCs though, the others are in storage really. One day I tested the two in storage to discover they wanted me to input the date/time after several months of no use. I noticed they eventually held the time and date after I used it for a while testing burned discs.

So the battery will obviously die after a few days or weeks without use, but idk how long that duration is or how long the DC takes to recharge the battery. Just curious if anyone knew.

FiOlu4L.jpg

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#13 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:57 pm

ERVOSCV wrote:So the battery will obviously die after a few days or weeks without use, but idk how long that duration is or how long the DC takes to recharge the battery. Just curious if anyone knew.

FiOlu4L.jpg

I work at sea and live mostly in different countries to the one that my Dreamcast is in. On returning home which can be up to 4months, I havent needed to re-enter the time/date yet.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

mario64
shadow

Post#14 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:56 pm

I just stumbled across this thread today as I am considering the same mod to allow use of the CR2032 battery vs the rechargeable one. Reason being is that I often take breaks for a few months to play other consoles. Inevitably when I power my DC on the rechargeable has died on me. The OP was clearly having issues with his so I'm wondering if anyone is using the CR2032 mod with no issues?

NightBreeze
fire

Post#15 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:09 am

mario64 wrote:I just stumbled across this thread today as I am considering the same mod to allow use of the CR2032 battery vs the rechargeable one. Reason being is that I often take breaks for a few months to play other consoles. Inevitably when I power my DC on the rechargeable has died on me. The OP was clearly having issues with his so I'm wondering if anyone is using the CR2032 mod with no issues?

As long as you're using new high quality CR2032's my guess is you should be good for 6 months - 1 year before having to change it. I don't know what the power draw is, but I think it's safe to say you should not expect more than that at least.

On the other hand, ML2032 will deplete anywhere between 2 weeks to 6 months, depends on how much you play to charge it back up and what the battery's max capacity is (will probably diminish over time). The biggest benefit of ML2032 is IMO that once you do start playing, you won't have to worry about the clock resetting, it's a one-time nuisance between breaks.

The best solution would be to find a ML2430 as that matches the original battery, has a much higher capacity (100mAh vs 60mAh) and lasts about 2/3 longer, so possibly up to a year. But these are harder to come by.

mario64
shadow

Post#16 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:40 pm

NightBreeze wrote:
mario64 wrote:I just stumbled across this thread today as I am considering the same mod to allow use of the CR2032 battery vs the rechargeable one. Reason being is that I often take breaks for a few months to play other consoles. Inevitably when I power my DC on the rechargeable has died on me. The OP was clearly having issues with his so I'm wondering if anyone is using the CR2032 mod with no issues?

As long as you're using new high quality CR2032's my guess is you should be good for 6 months - 1 year before having to change it. I don't know what the power draw is, but I think it's safe to say you should not expect more than that at least.

On the other hand, ML2032 will deplete anywhere between 2 weeks to 6 months, depends on how much you play to charge it back up and what the battery's max capacity is (will probably diminish over time). The biggest benefit of ML2032 is IMO that once you do start playing, you won't have to worry about the clock resetting, it's a one-time nuisance between breaks.

The best solution would be to find a ML2430 as that matches the original battery, has a much higher capacity (100mAh vs 60mAh) and lasts about 2/3 longer, so possibly up to a year. But these are harder to come by.

Great thank you very much