Is 200GB/256GB necessarily going to be slow on GDEMU from 128GB?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Re: Is 200GB/256GB necessarily going to be slow on GDEMU from 128GB?

Post#21 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:53 pm

Outside of the games deluxux mentioned, and your favorite game with glitchy menu bypass, how many of the master list are playable once you can workaround some of the quirks? Most? Did you do tons of experimenting to figure out what worked?

This does sound like a fun project, but I’d love to research it a lot more first .. like all things

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#22 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:02 am

Almost all of the games delux posted in that thread are mostly playable. Some do have some heavy graphical glitching, but a lot are really good.

So far we have over 150 games playable, with another known 60 or so I discovered lsited on a French speaking site. So there are still more being descovered all the time. Once we can get the retails working, we can build upon my compatibility list here for those 3 retail emulator discs.

http://web.archive.org/web/201808162256 ... =27&t=3665

I may just repost that compatibility list here in the Bleem section as a new thread so we can all test out games and add to it to see what ones work if megavolt can incorporate those into Bleemshell as genuine cores we select before loading games. I believe making the beta emu default highlighted on a list before you launch the game and then the other 3 retails listed below would be ideal and make it seamless as possible.

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Post#23 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:39 am

I can’t wait to play my MGS1 discs on gdemu when bleem retail is incorporated into Bleemshell if Japanese cake delivers

Ive been sitting on it forever and don’t wanna swap back my disc drive

How many games are deal breakers without game save even if not deal breaking glitches tho? Ie not just got as an impressive tech demo but something you can really sink your teeth into

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#24 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:53 am

Anything that is an arcade game, or something password based is great, just no RPG's and stuff. Many games can still be played if RPG, but you will not be able to save. So Shmups, fighters, ect. I even beat Klonoa and Strider 2 on the Dreamcast in a single playthrough.

This is why the ability to incorporate a cheat menu into Bleemshell will let us unlock stuff in many games from the beginning to make up for lack of saves on the compatible beta emu games.

I still however play other games that are longer. Xena and Planet of the Apes are longer games but play almost flawlessly if there are even any issues at all? They look like legit ports.

Like that Starfighter game I mentioned earlier, it is a pretty beefy game with like 15 levels but if you are good you can get far in it.

azel
fire

Post#25 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:06 am

i remember playing Star Fighter on Saturn probably 20 years ago. Thanks for reminding me about this game! I might see if I can throw it on my modded Vita and give the psx version a go :)

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Post#26 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:55 pm

Is star fighter better on psx or saturn? Didn’t realize it was a saturn game too!

Valkyr1983
shadow

Post#27 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:26 pm

deluxux wrote:256gb microcenter brand is fine the reason for the loading times is most likely that one game title is to long or a special character is in a file name.

Since i cant find this listed anywhere, happen to know what those limitations are?

the longest game title i have on mine is

Cyber Troopers Virtual-On - Oratorio Tangram

gets cut off after the G so it looks like this:

Cyber Troopers Virtual-On - Oratorio Tang

including spaces thats 39 characters, so is that the hard limit? also i have certain symbols in the game names (inside GDMENU, not the actual .gdi filenames in the SD card folders)

such as Plus symbol in Wetrix+

Exclamation point after ChuChu Rocket!

and various apostophes like in Army Men Sarge's Heroes

what characters are or are not ok to have in a game title? could that explain why my 400GB SD card with 266 games is taking forever to load? im using madsheeps SD card maker and its creating the list.ini file in GDMENU just fine, so it shouldnt be the number of games or SD card size...

im at a loss here, thanks!

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#28 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:32 pm

areyareadyherewego wrote:Is star fighter better on psx or saturn? Didn’t realize it was a saturn game too!

It's a 3D0 game best on it or saturn.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#29 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:36 pm

Valkyr1983 wrote:including spaces thats 39 characters, so is that the hard limit? also i have certain symbols in the game names (inside GDMENU, not the actual .gdi filenames in the SD card folders

I think that sounds about right. I remember hearing the limit was 30 something in the past. I think it also has to do with the width of the menu screen as well maybe?

VIRACY
noob

Post#30 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:47 pm

To those with Microcenter cards, which is the specific cards you bought? I’ve bought them but none work over 32gb. Yes I’ve formatted them as Fat32 with 64kb clusters.