What happened to Saturn to Dreamcast controller adapters?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

What happened to Saturn to Dreamcast controller adapters?

Post#1 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:08 pm

I was lucky to get a dream connection II off eBay for $40 ish last year but holy crap there’s like nothing to be found anywhere. Still.

This seems essential for fighting fans that wanna use a fighter friendly pad

And you could always go arcade stick but you might not want to

And I have a Saturn arcade stick made from original Saturn virtua fighter parts with modded buttons and chassis and it’s awesome and of course works with my dream connection when I do want to bust it out

deluxux
Black Mesa

Re: What happened to Saturn to Dreamcast controller adapters?

Post#2 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:37 pm

Saturn to DC should be a $10 dongle!! The latest in DC controller technology is the Brook Adaptor.
https://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/47613739/
Lots of great HORI pads working.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#3 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:41 am

I've been meaning to pick up one of those Brooke adapters. It says it supports xinput, with that being the case I would think it will support the new retrobit Saturn/genesis pads, as you can toggle those into xinput by holding down the MODE button.

Macabre
Feet of Fury

Post#4 » Fri May 29, 2020 3:29 pm

Apologies for resurrecting an old topic, but after searching the forum for the brooks adapter this topic seemed most relevant.

My ghetto wireless setup of daisy-chaining adapters to make wireless ps2/xbox controllers work seems to have a fault, so I'm looking for newer options.

After a few months of play has the Brooks adapter held up? Does it exhibit any sort of latency or delay from input? Would you recommend it for sensitive games like shoot-em-ups?
PSO Dreamcast BBA ftw @ Dreamcast-Talk.com
~ Macabre! Redria HUcast
~ Lust Purplenum RAcaseal
~Sega Trade List!~
vid's coming soon~

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#5 » Fri May 29, 2020 4:01 pm

Its been great for me. I use a PS4 controller wireless most of the time. Rumble, Turbo, non/analog triggers, full custom button mapping. 40 VMU blocks for the VMU port 1-A only games (MVC2) ABXY gets mapped by default to the right stick on the PS3/PS4 controller.

As for latency, the PS3 wireless is noticeably slower when the battery gets low (my old controller) but you can plug it in over USB and it charges as you play. The PS4 controller is no issue.
The main reason I bought one was so I could get a nice arcade stick I could also use on alot of systems PS3 PS4 PC DC etc..
Ive only encountered one game that it doesn't work at all and that is POD SpeedZone II. It constantly presses the start button over and over.... but only after you enter a race. MSR only lets you load the game from Port 1-A on first boot and you have to hotswap.

Ive seen people daisy chain the Brook with the 8bitduo to increase the compatibility even further to allow for Xbox1, Switch and WiiU pads. A Xbox1 Elite pad on the Dreamcast would be sweet.
Invite some non Dreamcast friends over to play Dreamcast and give them a modern controller they will be happier.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#6 » Fri May 29, 2020 5:06 pm

Macabre wrote:Apologies for resurrecting an old topic, but after searching the forum for the brooks adapter this topic seemed most relevant.

My ghetto wireless setup of daisy-chaining adapters to make wireless ps2/xbox controllers work seems to have a fault, so I'm looking for newer options.

After a few months of play has the Brooks adapter held up? Does it exhibit any sort of latency or delay from input? Would you recommend it for sensitive games like shoot-em-ups?

do not rush into shopping, soon an adapter will be released for connecting PS1, PS2, Saturn, MegaDrive joysticks and PC PS / 2 keyboards and mice

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#7 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:34 am

megavolt85 wrote:do not rush into shopping, soon an adapter will be released for connecting PS1, PS2, Saturn, MegaDrive joysticks and PC PS / 2 keyboards and mice

Do you have a source? That sounds pretty nice.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#8 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:29 am

ReaderRagfish wrote:Do you have a source?

it's my current progect :)
you can alredy buy this board for build adapter

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#9 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:15 pm

megavolt85 wrote:it's my current progect :)
you can alredy buy this board for build adapter

Oh nice, color me interested.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#10 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:42 pm