GDEMU CLONE 5.15B and firmware update 5.20

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

pipporamone
undertow

GDEMU CLONE 5.15B and firmware update 5.20

Post#1 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:58 am

Hey there,

I have a 5.15b GDemu Clone, the one with same chips of the original.

Anyone tried to update to 5.20?

I know that it is not recommended but this one has the same chips of the original

Thanks

NightBreeze
fire

Re: GDEMU CLONE 5.15B and firmware update 5.20

Post#2 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:21 am

I'm in the same boat. I'd try it just to put the discussion to rest but I don't have a backup GDEMU in case it turns into a brick :shock:

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#4 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:49 am

I have the same clone as you...
Hope we'll find an issue.

NightBreeze
fire

Post#5 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:01 am

Ian Micheal wrote:I say 99% it be a brick..

I'm keen to agree that this is the most likely outcome, however, I think the pre-update (bootloader update) is a big wildcard. Maybe, just maybe, that update could trick GDEMU into thinking it's legit.

Interested parties, maybe we could pool up some money, buy a 5.15b and try it out (nearly) without risk? I'd easily throw in $5-10 into the pot.

EDIT: There were also two versions of the pre-update released, probably worth trying out both (which may or may not require 2 GDEMUs).

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#6 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:57 am

https://gdemu.wordpress.com/
It seems the 5.20.1 FW for GDEMU is not fully stable, some people reported random game hangs. I’m not really sure why this happens, might be some obscure hardware issue – but I’ve developed a workaround that seems to work. So there’s a new FW available for download.
Unfortunately it took 2 tries and the first one was not fully successful yet some of the GDEMUs I’m currently shipping will have the earlier 5.20.2 FW. I will not be unpacking those, sorry, just upgrade when you get them.

I don't think the firmware is very important, stable or worth a brick to flash even a genuine Gdemu.
So not only does it probably not work on a clone its "not fully successful yet" with the real deal.
Not even taking the effort to update before shipping new devices to paying customers.
Also its the users fault with "obscure hardware". :roll:
I'm excited for the ebay models to include this new firmware.

NightBreeze
fire

Post#7 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:28 am

deluxux wrote:I'm excited for the ebay models to include this new firmware.

If we can't update, I'm not sure the Chinese clones will be able to update either. I've heard claims that GDEMUs don't really run 5.15, instead they are running 5.13 (IIRC) and the version number has been spoofed. I don't know if anyone knows this for a verifiable fact though.

pipporamone
undertow

Post#8 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:37 am

NightBreeze wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:I say 99% it be a brick..

I'm keen to agree that this is the most likely outcome, however, I think the pre-update (bootloader update) is a big wildcard. Maybe, just maybe, that update could trick GDEMU into thinking it's legit.

Interested parties, maybe we could pool up some money, buy a 5.15b and try it out (nearly) without risk? I'd easily throw in $5-10 into the pot.

EDIT: There were also two versions of the pre-update released, probably worth trying out both (which may or may not require 2 GDEMUs).

I am definitely in if we want to do this experiment ;-)

I have installed in mine 5.15 but the new 5.20 has some improvements in stability (also disc swap fix on D2 and other things)

Would be cool to make also a YT video of the procedure

megavolt85
Developer

Post#9 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:41 pm

pipporamone wrote:Would be cool to make also a YT video of the procedure

oh yeah i want to see the clone die :mrgreen:

For many years now, all users of Chinese clones (everdrive, etc) know that it is impossible to update, but there is always a fool who will try to update :mrgreen:

Greg2600
dark night

Post#10 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:55 pm

Well in the case of Everdrive the updates usually provided improvements. GDEMU hasn't had a critical firmware update in years, there's no reason to touch the clone.