Dreamcast v2 GD ROM replacement possible ?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

mscotz
noob

Dreamcast v2 GD ROM replacement possible ?

Post#1 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:18 am

Hello a novice here, of the three versions of DC I seem to have the version 2, where the gd rom is all plastic. My DC wont spin discs any more and the screw turn technique worked for a little bit but not anymore. On ebay the replacement gd rom seem like all the ones that just snap into the slot, but version 2 does not seem would work. Also GDEMU seems a non option.

So for version 2 Dreamcast what are options to fix the gd rom ? Thanks.

Dreamcast HKT-3020
Manufactured October 2000
Version 2 NTSC

Xiden
Developer

Re: Dreamcast v2 GD ROM replacement possible ?

Post#2 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:30 am

mscotz wrote:Hello a novice here, of the three versions of DC I seem to have the version 2, where the gd rom is all plastic. My DC wont spin discs any more and the screw turn technique worked for a little bit but not anymore. On ebay the replacement gd rom seem like all the ones that just snap into the slot, but version 2 does not seem would work. Also GDEMU seems a non option.

Dreamcast HKT-3020
Version 2 NTSC

Edit deleted
Last edited by Xiden on Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

|darc|
lithium

Post#3 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:47 pm

Xiden wrote:
mscotz wrote:Hello a novice here, of the three versions of DC I seem to have the version 2, where the gd rom is all plastic. My DC wont spin discs any more and the screw turn technique worked for a little bit but not anymore. On ebay the replacement gd rom seem like all the ones that just snap into the slot, but version 2 does not seem would work. Also GDEMU seems a non option.

Dreamcast HKT-3020
Version 2 NTSC

Get a MODE from TerraOnion, its the only replacement device that will work on a v2

TerraOnion MODE does not work on va2.

va2 has the GD-ROM drive controller circuitry built into the motherboard, so it can't be replaced.

Xiden
Developer

Post#4 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:07 pm

|darc| wrote:
Xiden wrote:

Dreamcast HKT-3020
Version 2 NTSC

Get a MODE from TerraOnion, its the only replacement device that will work on a v2

TerraOnion MODE does not work on va2.

va2 has the GD-ROM drive controller circuitry built into the motherboard, so it can't be replaced.

One of their support staff told me it did, but looks like their site now says otherwise

Paspie
rebel

Post#5 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:46 pm

If the laser or spindle motor has failed then the best course seems to scavenge them from a PC CD-ROM drive, as the DC-specific models are out of production. Apparently those from CD-Master 48e (SC-148) drives work well. It's possible that some of those are dying as well but I reckon they're less likely to be well used.

mscotz
noob

Post#6 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:15 pm

Thanks all for your replies all. I may look for a used drive on ebay to see if that is a possibility or maybe try replacing the laser. Any other suggestions are welcomed. I appreciate all the info given.

xzer0PL
rebel

Post#7 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:12 am

Its possible to make HDD mod, but you need good soldering skills.

mscotz
noob

Post#8 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:54 pm

xzer0PL wrote:Its possible to make HDD mod, but you need good soldering skills.

I have not seen HDD mod on version 2, if you have a link or anything for reference I don't mind giving it a shot, at this point it seems less risky.