Crazy Taxi stuttering after 5 minutes of gameplay?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

mstar
Doom

Re: Crazy Taxi stuttering after 5 minutes of gameplay?

Post#21 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:08 am

Oh my, i meant to say that *some* of the PAL ones are bad presses, not that each and every disc is bad.

But yes, i'll edit that.

XVO
undertow

Post#22 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:44 am

I know it's not really related to a technical solution but, a buddy of mine played Crazy Taxi in a way that the geometry hadn't had the time to load correctly. After a few hours his Dreamcast stopped working.

He was constantly crazy drifting and the game stuttered some times.

I don't know if you play it with the same insane skills?

Cobra!
shadow

Post#23 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:12 am

I kind of do? I always use the trick where if you go to reverse, and then go to forward gear and mmediately hit accelerate, you get a speed boost.

However, I also did this on this other copy/Dreamcast I tried, and I didn't get those problems.

Did your friend's Dreamcast start working again after a while, or did they need it repaired?

Cobra!
shadow

Post#24 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:45 pm

Reving this thread with an update:

I got another Dreamcast off eBay, and tested the same copy of Crazy Taxi on that, and I had no stuttering issues whatsoever, so the problem is definitely with the first Dreamcast, maybe the laser intensity is too weak?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#25 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:40 pm

Yeah pretty much what i thought it never stutterd at all brand new when i had a good dreamcast.. lot of these problems people have with burned cdrs is there gdrom is laser is weak.. just did not have the problems in 2003 :)

Cobra!
shadow

Post#26 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:53 pm

Yeah, so I’m either going to open it up and turn that diode to increase the intensity, or just use the first DC for games that don’t stream from the disc, and this other DC for games that do.

mstar
Doom

Post#27 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:09 am

Cobra! wrote:Reving this thread with an update:

I got another Dreamcast off eBay, and tested the same copy of Crazy Taxi on that, and I had no stuttering issues whatsoever, so the problem is definitely with the first Dreamcast, maybe the laser intensity is too weak?

That's interesting!

"For Science" it'd be good to get a NTSC-J copy of Crazy Taxi and try that on your first Dreamcast. :D

Cobra!
shadow

Post#28 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:15 am

What's the difference?