Compressing VMU Saved Data

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

AgentMomo
Prince of Persia

Compressing VMU Saved Data

Post#1 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:32 pm

OK So I got the program that allows to compress data.

I only got 1 VMU , does the save larged file turn right into a Compressed File or does it end up having both

the compress and uncompressed at the same time which totally involves needing a 2nd VMU to move things around ?

Don't want to risk deleting my one NFL SEASON save

deluxux
Black Mesa

Re: Compressing VMU Saved Data

Post#2 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:52 pm

I would not use that tool if you really want the data to be safe get a DreamShell Serial port SD reader and backup the saves to the PC.

dreamshell.jpg

AgentMomo
Prince of Persia

Post#3 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:04 pm

deluxux wrote:I would not use that tool if you really want the data to be safe get a DreamShell Serial port SD reader and backup the saves to the PC.

dreamshell.jpg

Yeah I'll finally have to get one , Buying VMUs just for Sport Season Data is costly. :mrgreen:

But in the mean time is their something I can do in the nature of what I just said or no ?

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#4 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:11 pm

Maybe using email from the Dreamcast.
Here is a post from Nz17 might be helpful.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12423&start=10#p129376

AgentMomo
Prince of Persia

Post#5 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:46 pm

Well I just found out yes SOURCE and TARGET VMU can be the same , just have enough space open 1st , so yeah compress and regular will be on the vmu at 1st before deleting one of them. So half my idea would be fine lol.