Japanese peripherals on US console

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

pnutbutrsangwich
noob

Japanese peripherals on US console

Post#1 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:24 am

I've seen conflicting info on this in my searches, so I am asking directly. If one were to try and run Japanese import games on a US Dreamcast (using a boot disc for example), would it be possible to use the exclusive controllers for those games on the US console? Specifically, I'm wondering if the Pop'n Music controller will work on a US console if I get the Japanese game to boot. TIA for the help and apologies in adv if this is a silly question.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: Japanese peripherals on US console

Post#2 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:16 pm

From very very limited knowledge of all things hardware, the game disc is where most hardware support occurs. It is like a Linux Live CD at that point. This is why BBA support is only on a few game discs that support it, mouse, 6-button controller, DreamEye camera, etc... are not supported on all game discs.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

pnutbutrsangwich
noob

Post#3 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:15 pm

Ah that’s good to know. Combined with other things i have read that say that the peripherals are all region free, it would suggest that so long as you can get the game to run, you can get the game-specific controller too.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:27 pm

The only accessory that's "region-locked" is the official light gun. It only works with the Japanese and PAL versions of House of the Dead 2 and Confidential Mission. The region of the console itself doesn't matter though.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#5 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:28 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:The only accessory that's "region-locked" is the official light gun. It only works with the Japanese and PAL versions of House of the Dead 2 and Confidential Mission. The region of the console itself doesn't matter though.

Thanks for that extra info, PCwzrd13. It makes sense as the official light gun support is dictated by the game disc in that case as well. To note, I believe the NTSC/U region did not get an official Sega Dreamcast light gun...once again, I am not up on hardware but I have a MadCatz light gun for my NTSC/U Dreamcast.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

poopidoop
MegaDeath

Post#6 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:49 am

Bob Dobbs wrote:
pcwzrd13 wrote:The only accessory that's "region-locked" is the official light gun. It only works with the Japanese and PAL versions of House of the Dead 2 and Confidential Mission. The region of the console itself doesn't matter though.

Thanks for that extra info, PCwzrd13. It makes sense as the official light gun support is dictated by the game disc in that case as well. To note, I believe the NTSC/U region did not get an official Sega Dreamcast light gun...once again, I am not up on hardware but I have a MadCatz light gun for my NTSC/U Dreamcast.

the Madcatz light gun basically was the official light gun. it was the only one with a sega license, even though it was 3rd party.