RetroFighters DC Striker - yes or no?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

RetroFighters DC Striker - yes or no?

Post#1 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:59 am

Does anyone have this controller and does anyone like this controller?

DarkSynbios
DC-Talk Addict

Re: RetroFighters DC Striker - yes or no?

Post#2 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:23 pm

I have it and i can say this controller is good but need a few improvements to be the best controller for Dreamcast.

The first issue i found is about the weight of controller when you put the rumble pack, you feel the make’s controller wanna go down.

The second issue is i wanted the shoulders and start button to be more soft and not clicky.

And last one is not support a few 3rd party memory cards.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#3 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:13 pm

@DarkSynbios you forgot to mention the problem with the analogue in some games

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#4 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:32 pm

Then there's the build quality, where I've seen pictures of a few of them already breaking in different spots (triggers, VMU window).

Meanwhile, my 20 year old original controller still works fine after surviving many rage quits.

Rolly
letterbomb

Post#5 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:42 am

No. The controller is not very comfortable, the analog triggers are of average quality and have strange hooks.
I have problems with movement in games like Illbleed, Time Stalkers or LOL Lack of Love.
Good side - a good analog stick and a long cable.
You can read more on my website - use Google translate.
http://www.sega.c0.pl/faqs/felieton_ret ... mcast.html
For the price and the waiting period - I'm not entirely satisfied.

However, I highly recommend the Brook Wingman SD converter.

No1Dopechampion
rebel

Post#6 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:52 pm

I personally have mixed feelings about the DC Striker.The concept and design are good, but like others have said before me . . build quality is not good enough. Had one trigger break on me within 2 months that I had to repair myself with glue, then there's the analog stick. It already feels worn.
Makes me wish SEGA could have made it with same durability as original pads

Rolly
letterbomb

Post#7 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:34 am

Today great news. Wingman SD Converter new firmware from Brook now supports USB keyboards (also wireless) and from today allows you to export and import a virtual memory/VMU on a PC (240blocks, .DCM, .VMU, .BIN format included)!
Good moment to buy a new one (today, there are various discounts in stores.)

Beta firmware: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=e65a3a07 ... 3Y5qRqdmGs
Beta Wingman VMU Tool: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=e65a3a07 ... ykJrFijWuQ

ShreddieMercury
undertow

Post#8 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:20 pm

I bought this controller recently and thought I'd bump this to share my thoughts.

I ordered through Amazon initially. I've been playing racing games, so the first thing that I tried was Sega Rally 2 and Daytona USA 2001. The analog stick seemed to be acting strange out of the box. Since these games both have calibration settings, I checked and noticed that the game was only recognizing 80% of the input when tilting left.

I contacted Retro Fighters customer support, and they shipped me a new unit immediately, which I received about two days later. The stick on this one feels firmer and does not have the same issue thankfully.

After using it for a while, my general thoughts are that it's very comfortable to use, but feels very light and cheap. The overall ergonomics of the controller are an improvement on the original design, but unfortunately the build quality seems to be fairly mediocre overall. It does feel more substantial with a VMU and rumble pack inserted, so if you get one I recommend loading it with peripherals. The best parts of the controller are the D-pad and analog stick. In racing games particularly, the stick can feel more precise than the original, even though I don't love how loose it feels (which is actually brought up in the FAQ's that come with the controller). The D-pad feels sturdy in all directions and is certainly an improvement. Elsewhere, the buttons feel nice and tactile, but are spaced more closely together - this isn't too noticeable, but I would have preferred if they had kept the same distance.

Overall, I'd say this is a fine controller, but far too expensive for what you're getting. For $25 or so, I'd say it's a no brainer, but at $50 it's tough to recommend. I will commend their customer service, because it was extremely prompt, and they sent me a new unit immediately and without question.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#10 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:32 pm

ShreddieMercury wrote:Overall, I'd say this is a fine controller, but far too expensive for what you're getting.

and in this "good" controller all known problems have been fixed?