Dreamcast + Toro box + SCART to Framemeister = Dark image?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Vgesoterica
Rank 9

Dreamcast + Toro box + SCART to Framemeister = Dark image?

Post#1 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:46 pm

Normally I just use VGA into a CRT but I need to capture some Dreamcast stuff so I am going SCART into my Framemeister.

Image LOOKS beautiful but it's much darker than S-Video / VGA. This MAY be because my only SCART to SCART cable is attenuated to 75 Ohm with a resistor as I only usually use it for Supergun to Framemeister captures. So it's intended to drop TTL signal to 75Ohm.

First time going Toro to SCART to Framemeister...anyone else had a dark image? Figured I'd ask before I buy another SCART cable for one singular purpose

Also I guess I could adapt VGA to my Framemeister but I had all the cables necessary to go SCART into Mini-Din XRGB so I was heading that route

any help would be...well...helpful! lol

Roareye
Rank 9

Re: Dreamcast + Toro box + SCART to Framemeister = Dark image?

Post#2 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:35 am

Get another SCART cable, it seems your modifications to your current cable are the problem. RGB should be as bright, if not not more vivid, than s-video. I have no darkness issues with any of my SCART RGB consoles (Master System, Mega Drive, Saturn, RGB modded N64).

Though from what I hear the Framemeister can't detect RGB at all? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the Framemeister was S-video/composite only?

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:37 am

Don't forget XRGB/Framemeister w/e it is called is Japanese

It's using JP21 unless you adapt it to SCART

Vgesoterica
Rank 9

Post#4 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:46 am

mistamontiel wrote:Don't forget XRGB/Framemeister w/e it is called is Japanese

It's using JP21 unless you adapt it to SCART

Yes it’s adapted to JP21 with a conversion dongle.

It must be the SCART cable with the resistor then as it’s way too dark. Guess I need a new SCART cable

Vgesoterica
Rank 9

Post#5 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:58 am

Roareye wrote:Get another SCART cable, it seems your modifications to your current cable are the problem. RGB should be as bright, if not not more vivid, than s-video. I have no darkness issues with any of my SCART RGB consoles (Master System, Mega Drive, Saturn, RGB modded N64).

Though from what I hear the Framemeister can't detect RGB at all? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the Framemeister was S-video/composite only?

Framemeister has RGB in. It’s just some off an 8 pin mini din to SCART adapter.

It was RCA, S Video, RGB, component (via an adapter) and HDMI in

Vgesoterica
Rank 9

Post#6 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:40 pm

Solved. It wasn't the SCART cable.

Toro implemented Luminosity adjustments on the Even / Odd toggle when scanlines are OFF. I have no idea why they'd do that lol...but my SCART cable with the resistor on sync has the same quality / brightness as the standard SCART cable that was just delivered.

The manual PDF is not clear about this at all lol