Skies of Arcadia DLC doesn't seem to work

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

LordRayken
shadow

Skies of Arcadia DLC doesn't seem to work

Post#1 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:32 pm

Hey all,

I recently transferred the SoA DLC US .vmi file and VMS to my VMU using an SD card loader.

On the VMU the files show up as 4 blocks with their animations, etc. and they seem to be on the VMU fine. But when I load up Skies of Arcadia, it never asks to merge the DLC with my save file and none of the DLC is available (Mystery Merchant is supposed to sell the Tuna Cutlass and Swirlmerang and doesn't have those items.)

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Someone said I needed to download the .vmi via the dreamcast browser and put the VMS on there manually? But that doesn't seem to make sense. The .vmi file just makes a red X and doesn't seem recognized by the VMU.

LordRayken
shadow

Re: Skies of Arcadia DLC doesn't seem to work

Post#2 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:43 pm

After a long day of troubleshooting, someone on Facebook found out that the files are actually named wrong. So the DLC files at Dreamcastlive.net are named incorrectly.

"TunaSwir" is S.ARCADIAD01 (US) or ARCADIA_ED01 (PAL)
"Hamachou" is S.ARCADIAD02 (US) or ARCADIA_ED02 (PAL)
"Looper" is S.ARCADIAD03 (US) or ARCADIA_ED03 (PAL)

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#3 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:31 pm

The files aren't meant to be directly copied to a VMU. VMI and VMS files are meant to be downloaded from a Dreamcast web browser. The VMI file tells the browser what to name the VMS file before it copies it to the VMU. You can manually rename the VMS file if you want to copy it directly but you need to find out what it needs to be named (as you have done).
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

LordRayken
shadow

Post#4 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:18 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:The files aren't meant to be directly copied to a VMU. VMI and VMS files are meant to be downloaded from a Dreamcast web browser. The VMI file tells the browser what to name the VMS file before it copies it to the VMU. You can manually rename the VMS file if you want to copy it directly but you need to find out what it needs to be named (as you have done).

On the off chance there is a user out there who decides to download the DLC directly to their VMU, I think the files should be saved with the proper names that the game calls for in the .vmi file.

There should at least be an entry on the FAQ about the fact the DLC names are in the .vmi files.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#5 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:55 am

LordRayken wrote:On the off chance there is a user out there who decides to download the DLC directly to their VMU, I think the files should be saved with the proper names that the game calls for in the .vmi file.

That's not possible. They need to be .VMS files with a short file name (max 8 characters). This is how Sega designed them. In any case, I've added a note to the DLC page which explains what to do if you need to direct copy them.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

LordRayken
shadow

Post#6 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:31 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:
LordRayken wrote:On the off chance there is a user out there who decides to download the DLC directly to their VMU, I think the files should be saved with the proper names that the game calls for in the .vmi file.

That's not possible. They need to be .VMS files with a short file name (max 8 characters). This is how Sega designed them. In any case, I've added a note to the DLC page which explains what to do if you need to direct copy them.

Gotcha, I didn't realize the names had to be limited to a certain character limit. S.ARCADIAD01 definitely wouldn't fit. Although I renamed my .vms files and the VMU accepted them fine. So it must just be a limitation when you export them to the site?

Anyways, thanks a ton! I know this is probably an uncommon thing, but at least now what I consider to be the premiere site for Dreamcast DLC has the file name explanation.

LordRayken
shadow

Post#7 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:49 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:

Hey, I have another question real fast.

If all Dreamcast DLC is "on disc" DLC, how can any of it truly be lost? Can't it all be ripped from the disc?

It's something I've been wondering for a while.