Help making Eternal Arcadia (JP Skies of Arcadia) output 15khz RGB

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

fernan1234
noob

Help making Eternal Arcadia (JP Skies of Arcadia) output 15khz RGB

Post#1 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:21 pm

Hello fellow Dreamcast fans,
For a long time I've been holding out on playing Eternal Arcadia (the original NTSC-J/Japanese release of Skies of Arcadia) due to its rather unique inability to output 15khz (480i) RGBHV like most other Dreamcast titles, for my CRT.

This game, like its NTSC-U counterpart, is one of those games that forces the VGA video mode regardless of the pinout on the cable used (such as a VGA cable with pin 6, or a SCART cable, which works to output 15khz RGB for almost all games in the DC library). It can only output 15khz in inferior S-video and composite "TV" modes.

Many years ago there were patches made both to allow the PAL version to run at 60Hz via both 15khz and 31khz, and there was also a patch for the NTSC-U version to make it capable of outputting 15khz RGB. I have tried using these patches on my game disc's backup in order to run it on my GDEMU, but none of them seem to lead to a working disc image, either due to me doing something wrong and/or the region difference. I am under the impression that solving this problem involves modifying the 1ST_READ.BIN file on the disc's track 3, but that's as far as my knowledge of this matter goes.

If anyone could provide some advice or assistance in tackling this game's limitation after all these years, I'd be extremely grateful!

Sketcz
dark night

Re: Help making Eternal Arcadia (JP Skies of Arcadia) output 15khz RGB

Post#2 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:46 am

I searched for other topics, but only found this one.

Does anyone have GDI copies of Skies of Arcadia in either of the following formats:

1) PAL pre-patched to 60Hz

2) NTSC pre-patched for RGB output

I've found the patch for 60Hz on PAL:
https://japanese-cake.livejournal.com/6434.html

But god knows what I'm supposed to do with that binary file. Rebuild a GDI? How does one even do that?

Hence my search for pre-patched. Anyone?