Can the Dreamcast load ReWritable discs?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Dakangel
letterbomb

Can the Dreamcast load ReWritable discs?

Post#1 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:45 am

Please if anyone can answer the question of the topic, i have found old rewritable discs and i want to use them to try games ,patches, homebrews and anything related to the console but i dont know if the GDrom laser can accept the different material of the rewritable media.

If anyone here that keep using cd media in the console, specially CDI, Milcd or other than GDroms can guide me if anything special is pyshicaly needed on the laser to read the Rewritable discs im all eyes.

Pd. I already have a dreamcast with a gdemu, but i want to use the one console with the original Gd drive that i have too.
Last edited by Dakangel on Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Can the Dreamcast load ReWritable discs?

Post#2 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:34 am

You have to adjust it to do this wears the hell out of the gdrom drive just buy 100 cdrs at $15 and save your dreamcast cdrw will kill it fast over time. or just use sd card reader or an emulator

It will not read it with out turning the laser all the way up which is death for the laser not worth the trouble when your not saving anything these days with cdr's being $15 for 100 at walmart