Dreamcast has power issues only after power cycling

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Jefferson
noob

Dreamcast has power issues only after power cycling

Post#1 » Fri May 21, 2021 1:31 am

I have a Dreamcast with a DCDigital and MODE. When the Dreamcast has been powered on for awhile and I power it off, sometimes the DCDigital doesn’t output video or join WiFi when I turn on the Dreamcast again (if I wait about 5-10 seconds to power it back on). When this happens, the Dreamcast is working fine and outputs composite video ok so it seems like the DCDigital isn’t getting enough power. If I quickly power the console off and on again (only wait one second), the DCDigital works. Other times the DCDigital works but the MODE gives an error that it can’t read the microSD card.

I thought this might be a power issue and switched to a picoPSU and it has the same behavior. I’ve also thoroughly cleaned the power pins with a fiber brush and IPA.

Everything always works fine on a cold boot (console off for 15 min). The issue is only when it has been on and then power cycled.

Any thoughts or advice? The only thing I can think of is recapping the motherboard at this point. Maybe an issue with a capacitor that needs time to drain? I would think that is the power supply though. I am stumped. This also happens even if the original GD-ROM is installed (no MODE).