Good S video to HDMI converter for non vga games (or better alternative)?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Roareye
Rank 9

Re: Good S video to HDMI converter for non vga games (or better alternative)?

Post#11 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:04 pm

Pay $80 for a substandard output or $100 for a superior one. Not really good value the way I see it. That being said Scart cables are common in the UK so perhaps it's different in the US. Either way if the choice is £100 for svideo or £120 for scart, that's not even a choice lol

I mean, if you're after cheap and fantastic you go this way;
https://www.beharbros.com/akura

Best option: Akura $75 VGA to HDMI
Best non-vga option: Scart, around $100
Cheapest non-vga option: svideo, around $80, lower image quality
Last edited by Roareye on Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#12 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:04 pm

how about such a wiring diagram: Dreamcast->GBS8200->VGA2HDMI
with just one switch, you can change the mode from RGB to VGA and do not have to constantly poke wires

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#13 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:03 pm

Roareye wrote:Pay $80 for a substandard output or $100 for a superior one.

From what I've seen the cost difference is more like $50 than $20 (unless those $5 scart cables on ebay are actually good, but I have a feeling they aren't)

I guess the way I see it, if this was for a primary setup, then sure, you'd probably want to pay the extra $50 to get a better output. But this is a secondary setup that you'd only ever use to play 3 games at most, as for normal games there are better solutions than RGB that also cost less.

For me personally it's hard to justify the added cost but I'm aware that many enthusiasts are willing to spend ridiculous amounts of cash to get the absolute best possible setup, so I guess it's up to the individual to decide for themselves.

cbx
shadow

Post#14 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:37 am

Roareye wrote:
mr.kaeru wrote:
Roareye wrote:Airforce Delta/Deadly Skies

It's one of my favourites and it actually does work with VGA if the monitor handles 480i. By incident it works on my BenQ 22" GL2250 LCD but it doesn't work on other LCD TVs/monitors I've tried. I'm no expert but if I remember correctly it has to support a sync frequency of 31 kHz which most modern displays don't. Unlike the other games it's one of a kind on the Dreamcast unless you count the Aerowings series. The flight through the mountain, hunting down two SR-71s, zooming through a curved narrow canyon, shooting down a satellite before it hits a city, ... it has quite a few epic moments challenging even Top Gun Maverick.

I would live to see a patch for it to play it on my regular setup. The graphics quality would probably benefit because the 480i picture looks quite blurry compared to 480p. I've tried a (cheap) RGB scart to HDMI adapter and that looks significantly worse.

EDIT: In the past I used a VGA cable with a toggle. Airforce Delta doesn't work straight away with a plain VGA cable. However I did get it to work with my Kaico HDMI adapter using a trick. First I plugged an A/V cable into the Dreamcast. After the load screen I switched to the Kaico HDMI adapter and finally there's a picture. It looks lowres compared to other games but the picture quality is significantly better than via the Scart to HDMI adapter.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#15 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:10 am

If you have the urge to play one of the non-vga games, you could temporily plug one these into your Dreamcast for around $20.
https://www.amazon.com/Dreamcast-HDMI-C ... 08CZ29GSQ/
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski