Definitive Answer on GDEmu and Heat?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Lamaman1971
shadow

Definitive Answer on GDEmu and Heat?

Post#1 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:20 pm

Sorry, I know this is an old topic but I wanted to try and get a good answer. After installing a GDEmu is it necessary to replace or modify the old PSU? Is the heat issue really an issue at all?

deluxux
Black Mesa

Re: Definitive Answer on GDEmu and Heat?

Post#2 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:23 pm

Only an issue on 240V pal consoles YMMV!

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#3 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:30 am

After extensive testing on multiple units another person confirmed for NTSC consoles no issue

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#4 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:46 pm

aka DavidHK on DC games.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#5 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:08 am

Don't buy that 3D printer junk,

But the DreamTray from Xrider
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14206

NightBreeze
fire

Post#6 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:10 am

deluxux wrote:Don't buy that 3D printer junk,

But the DreamTray from Xrider
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14206

Strong disagree on 3D printed parts being junk. The linked tray seems to be based on laserbears design which is great (and open source, I use it myself). The 3D printed tray gets bonus points for not requiring to put screws in the top casing. You may not value this aspect but it's not dismissible, and other may value it like me.

And for whoever prefers the tray design by Xrider, all the power to them. I'm glad there are options.

Edit: On-topic, I have a PAL system and I did first try the resistor mod to the PSU, but I don't feel that helped a lot with heat. Never tried removing the 12V line and not sure if the heat ever was/would've been a problem or not, but I replaced mine with a PicoPSU and the the console is much, much cooler. So for my own peace of mind it was definitely worth it.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#7 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:25 am

3D printed can be fine if it's made with quality ingredients but for 10 bucks I'll bet it's crap.

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#8 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:39 am

deluxux wrote:3D printed can be fine if it's made with quality ingredients but for 10 bucks I'll bet it's crap.
The amount of 3d printer filament needed to print one of these trays, even high quality stuff, doesn't cost more than a dollar or two (and that's for someone buying the materials in small quantities -- someone who buys material in bulk would most certainly pay less). I can say this with confidence as I do own a 3d printer and printed a similar design myself.

That all said, I probably wouldn't personally buy a 3d printed part from some random ebay seller for other reasons (them not giving the original designer credit or often them not having permission from the original designer to sell their parts). But that's beside the point...

NightBreeze
fire

Post#9 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:02 am

deluxux wrote:3D printed can be fine if it's made with quality ingredients but for 10 bucks I'll bet it's crap.

To be honest that particular one (at least the product pictured in the eBay posting) seems to be one of those that have been mass-produced in China, slightly modified from the original 3D print design. I doubt it even is 3D printed. So $10 is pretty on-point for the price, not cheap. I saw someone on reddit post that they were very happy with theirs (bought from Amazon).

I've also never heard of "crappy 3D print materials", it'd usually be printed in either PLA, PETG or ABS. And the materials have different heat tolerances (PLA being the only one I think would potentially deform in this particular use case). Edit: Well there's crappy filament, but that usually just mean it will result in failed or bad prints, doesn't mean the actual material is bad.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#10 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:05 am

I use a PAL DC with a GDEMU and a 3D Printed Tray. It has absolutely no issue with heat, runs no hotter than it did with the disc drive in place. Replacing the PSU will only remove a level of heat from the DC and make more exterior mess with an external power brick. IMO it's absolutely not worth it unless your current PSU is actually faulty (or you want to try fitting a Dreampi into the actual DC unit itself).

That being said the DC always got hot when on (certainly if on for many hours, like I've been doing with mine while testing things). So it's entirely a choice, not a necessity.