How to make a copy of a System Disc 2?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

springboks1970
noob

How to make a copy of a System Disc 2?

Post#1 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:12 am

Hi All,

I have 2 DEV kits, but only 1 System Disc 2. Is it possible to duplicate the System Disc 2, and if so how? I tried ImgBurn, but it was not successful. I was hoping someone could perhaps help.

Thanks in advance.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Re: How to make a copy of a System Disc 2?

Post#2 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:35 am

You cannot

springboks1970
noob

Post#3 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:35 pm

100% cannot? Even of one had a Katana GD-Writer?

runkthepunk
Doom

Post#4 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:57 pm

2 dev kits?! i'm jealous :x ;)

System Discs on their own do come up for sale from time to time so worth keeping an eye out for them.

I am not sure if the disc is unhackable 100% (is anything ever unhackable?) But i guess as the system disc is such a niche item with only a handful of people really needing them that perhaps its not been really studied that much. I think they are numbered or have a serial number that probably causes issues when trying to simply copy them.

mrneo240 knows his stuff though so seems like its a no go at least for now.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:44 pm

It is not that people haven't studied it, I think the issue is that they just can not be copied since they don't have multiple sessions on the disc or something. I think Ian said something about it to me a while back why they can not be but forgot the details. It 100% has to be on a GDR pressed by Sega, no other way will work.

colgate
Doom

Post#6 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:18 pm

You can probably duplicate it using a GD duplicator.

runkthepunk
Doom

Post#7 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:00 am

Anthony817 wrote:It is not that people haven't studied it, I think the issue is that they just can not be copied since they don't have multiple sessions on the disc or something. I think Ian said something about it to me a while back why they can not be but forgot the details. It 100% has to be on a GDR pressed by Sega, no other way will work.

Well if people like Ian and mrneo say it can't be done there must be something serious on those discs (I do vaguely remember something about security check rings but didn't say as I didn't want to sound more daft than usual :P ) whatever it is its a shame but also quite cool that it's still intact all these years later

mstar
Doom

Post#8 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:30 am

runkthepunk wrote:... (I do vaguely remember something about security check rings but didn't say as I didn't want to sound more daft than usual :P ) ...

I think you're thinking about the copy protection on Sega Saturn discs...

I recall reading a lengthy and very detailed explanation how they work - here's an Archive.org snapshot of the discussion on AssemblerGames: https://web.archive.org/web/20191109143 ... tor.62274/

And here's the embedded video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOyfZex7B3E