Removing the 12v regulator and online play

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Sketcz
dark night

Re: Removing the 12v regulator and online play

Post#11 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:26 am

I installed the DreamPSU from Kaico and it runs super cool and without display problems, both on a CRT and a HDTV via an HDMI adapter. So I'm happy.

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Post#12 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:34 pm

Sketcz wrote:Fucking hell!

I was about 2 minutes away from desoldering the 12V and bricking my console, when I thought: let me check DC Talk on my phone. And lo and behold - I see a diagram explaining all!

Thanks for the help.

This irritates the shit out of me - I am literally enraged due to all the incorrect nonsense I've seen online.

When notmorezombies on that Reddit thread said:
It wouldn't stop it from working, SCART uses a range of voltages on pin 8 to indicate status and aspect ratio to the display/input device. In my case even if the 12V regulator was disconnected everything would still work. You should be fine.

He was basically bullshit lying. Classic internet.

Not to necro a thread for nothing, but there's no lying going on. It's perspective and context.

We see similar issues and complaints around VGA display output. Not all TVs handle what the Dreamcast is putting out correctly. There's also the matter of user error. Someone can do a mod on their own terms, botch it and not have a damn clue. Then they undo the mod, it fixes that problem, and they go and say "X stopped it so don't do it." Equally so, televisions have been in production for actual. Decades. And the way they all work, in regards to signaling, scaling and processing are ALL DIFFERENT.

Don't jump straight to the conclusion that this community is hostile or ignorant or lying. It's all variable.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#13 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:39 pm

On the real