Dreamcast wont connect to servers?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

VKNIGHT20
core

Dreamcast wont connect to servers?

Post#1 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:19 pm

Hey there all. I’m attempting to play online, however it refuses to access the servers. It can actually connect to the internet, though.

Checked the troubleshooting guide. Don't have any other device on my router with an ip ending in 98. As well, I was not able to access a different server by manually inputting the ip in Quake 3. Anyone know what the issue could be?
John 3:16

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: Dreamcast wont connect to servers?

Post#2 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:30 pm

Need more info
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

VKNIGHT20
core

Post#3 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:00 pm

What info do you need?

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#4 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:06 pm

Are you getting two green lights on the modem?
Does the Pi have any error messages printed on screen?
You say it can connect to the internet but not game servers are you trying a game that requires port forwarding? Did the router do a firmware update

VKNIGHT20
core

Post#5 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:29 pm

1. Yeah, i'm getting the 2 lights

2. Havent checked that. Going to take a look in the morning.

3. Port Forwarding is set up, but I also tried with PSO and Quake 3 which don't require it and still couldn't connect to the servers

4. Also another thing i'll have to check in the morning, but I tried on two separate routers so it would be unlikely that they both updated.

Xiden
Developer

Post#6 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:15 am

So I had a strange issue where.my dreamcast would have connectivity issues. Turned out the dreamcast power supply needed to be recapped... not entirely sure if that's your issue but if everything else is correct that's my guess.

VKNIGHT20
core

Post#7 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:47 pm

Well I tried with my Gamecube and PSO. Connected me to the net, but couldnt connect to the server, so I at least know it’s not an issue with my Dreamcast. No errors or nothing on my pi. Would wiping it clean, and redownloading Dreampi help?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#8 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:26 pm

If you can't connect on GameCube either than I'd say it's a DNS issue. Maybe your ISP is blocking use of a custom DNS server?
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Xiden
Developer

Post#9 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:09 pm

VKNIGHT20 wrote:Well I tried with my Gamecube and PSO. Connected me to the net, but couldnt connect to the server, so I at least know it’s not an issue with my Dreamcast. No errors or nothing on my pi. Would wiping it clean, and redownloading Dreampi help?

What router are you using?

VKNIGHT20
core

Post#10 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:14 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:If you can't connect on GameCube either than I'd say it's a DNS issue. Maybe your ISP is blocking use of a custom DNS server?

Well I've been using the same ISP for all of last year (AT&T), and I haven't gotten anything like this. Unless they changed something.
Xiden wrote:What router are you using?

I've tested on both an AT&T, and Netgear routers.