Shenmue Arcade Game GDI's

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Roareye
Rank 9

Shenmue Arcade Game GDI's

Post#1 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:59 pm

Hey guys and gals.

I was wondering if there were any self-boot files for the 80's arcade games within Shenmue. I'm aware the games are playable within Shenmue and Shenmue II, and that they are all on the Yu Suzuki GameWorks Vol I disc - however I have a particular interest in singular self-booting titles and here's why;

The DreamArena 3 disc is still in development and we've had a huge amount of positive pushes forward in the build (thanks to drez). He initially replaced the Dream Library emulator with the one from Smash Pack - which allowed us to unlock full titles instead of being locked to the demo mode. I tried multiple different hex edits of the ROM to get Dream Library to connect to a custom server but I was unsuccessful.
drez has since replaced the Smash Pack emulator with Gens4ALL which has vastly superior sound reproduction - it also means ROMs can be switched out in-emulator rather than having to boot back to the website to change games. He's also added the ability to boot back into DreamArena from within the emulator - the guy's a genius.

However this changes some of the current site design. Namely the Arcade, which had five game links (and an extra for Dream Library itself) is superfluous if we only need one link for the emulator itself. That's when it struck me that this could be swapped for five arcade games - such as those found in Shenmue/Yu Suzuki Game Works.
Arcade-preview001.jpg

That would allow me to turn this "ROMset selection" screen into an "Emulator Selection" screen, with an Arcade TV Screen and a Mega Drive TV Screen (with potentially others as/when/if they become possible - and mostly depending on spare disc space).
Arcade-preview002.jpg

If anyone has the bootable ROMs, that'd be great. Or any information on them would be great. I don't know if they're emulated or actually ported to DC, so even that info would be handy. I'm going to do an update for DreamArena 3 soon, though it's still a way off completion.

runkthepunk
Doom

Re: Shenmue Arcade Game GDI's

Post#2 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:33 am

Looking great! I hope you get some info from the clever people out there but all i can do is wait and look forward to this :)

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#3 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:19 am

Never heard of a boot.
But in shenmue II you can find a save with the games ready in the fourth disc.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#4 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:20 am

Searching track06.iso from Yu Suzuki's Game Works Vol 1 might have led me to the emulators?

Searching track01.iso just led to it mentioning several other files. These files seem to be also named and include extra coding information in track06.iso - is this one potentially the emulator/games?

track06.bin includes the following files named;
Dburner/...loader.bin..PD.BIN..type A
BURNER is how After Burner was named in track01.iso. However PD is also used for a JPG on the disc for Power Drift's instructions. I wonder if loader.bin is AfterBurner and PD.BIN may be Power Drift?

HANGON.BIN is a named file in track06.iso, and HANGON is the reference name for Hang-On in track01.iso

HARRIER.PKS is a named file in track06.iso, and HARRIER is the reference name for Space Harrier in track01.iso

outrun.bin is a named file in track06.iso, and OUTRUN is the reference name for Outrun in track01.iso

Power Drift info is scarce. Outside of the potential PD.BIN mentioned above, there was no reference name for Power Drift in track01.iso (unless it's referred to as MISC or SPRITE). However track06.iso did have the following;
power-drift.Malloc makoto../p53/prj53p/ysc/mirror/loader
Not sure if that is code gibberish or if it's actually meaningful in any way.

Can anyone verify that these are the game ROMs/emulators and is there a way to rip them out of the track06.iso file? Track06 is by far the biggest file on the disc - weighing in at 203MB. The next biggest file is track02.raw at 1.65MB - a massive difference. I assume that means this must be where the emulated games lie.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#5 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:35 pm

i have been interested in this for a while.
i have the same questions roareye.
is it an emulator with roms or a port?

same goes with the midway/namco collection games on dc.
can they be modded with new roms?

i remember a mod on original xbox that allowed i think shenmue 2 ??? to load other roms?? it could have been something else... midway?? idk because it was like 2008 or so when i downloaded it from isozone.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#6 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:07 pm

Screenshots of extracted files

In the game root screen I'm going to assume PD.BIN is the power drift rom and PD_IP.BIN is the ip.bin file for it. The other games have their own folders.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-11-11 215624.jpg
Screenshot 2021-11-11 215722.jpg
Screenshot 2021-11-11 215745.jpg
Screenshot 2021-11-11 215841.jpg
Screenshot 2021-11-11 215953.jpg

kremiso
Rank 9

Post#7 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:40 am

cool
my two cents, reaching to exchange the filename of two games, to test if they are interchangeable, would be an interesting thing (if not doing tries directly with Shenmue)

what about checking into the .cdi too?