USB Modem 1 Light on + Old issue (not sure if tied in)

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Beefonthalow
shadow

USB Modem 1 Light on + Old issue (not sure if tied in)

Post#1 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:29 am

I originally received my Pi 3 Dreampi kit summer 2021, I was able to get online 1-3 times and after that I've had issues. My first issue wouldn't let me connect to the online service displaying the error "Unable to load the requested document". I found threads on this issue and attempted various trouble shooting methods with no avail. I became frustrated (I'm not the most hardware savy guy) and set it aside to try again another time. I saw that this might be a network related error (on a forum) and troubleshot my router. I was (and currently) using a net gear nighthawk X6 router and was using it at the time. Tried both wifi and ethernet with the same results despite my trouble shooting efforts with someone who was a bit more hardware savy. I used an ethernet chord directly from my router to my dreampi for this.

After setting up some other hardware and software, my confidence grew in my ability to fix this. My interest peaked again to use the dreamcast and I went to try to connect online again. I received a new error saying "No dial tone" and my usb modem only has one light on, I proceeded through all the trouble shooting method located on the "troubleshooting" page for the dreampi. I flashed the SD card and rewrote the dreampi image on the microsd and still have not been able to go back online. I'm using an ethernet switch that is connected to my router for this and all my other devices on this same switch receive internet just fine.

At this point, I'm next to convinced this is a hardware issue. I ordered a Pi zero 2 and a new usb modem (dell) to test this out. I attached a screenshot of the pi boot screen, that I took for myself when I was attempting this.

Anyone have any issues similar to this or have any other trouble shooting methods to attempt?
Attachments
Pi.jpeg
There is a murderer amogus

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: USB Modem 1 Light on + Old issue (not sure if tied in)

Post#2 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:05 pm

My guess is that your Pi is connected to your local network but not to the internet. I'm basing this on two things:

The fact that you're getting an error about syncing the time. It's not able to connect to the server to sync the time.

The single light on the USB modem means the DreamPi software isn't ready. 99% of the time this is because it can't detect an internet connection.

If you want to test this, you can just type ping google.com in the Pi's command line after logging in. See if it gets response from Google.

As for solving the issue, I'm just repeating something from the troubleshooting guide but some sort of firewall / router issue is the most likely culprit.

Another possibility, but less likely, is a bad SD card.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Beefonthalow
shadow

Post#3 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:47 pm

I checked the routers settings and it didn't appear to have a firewall blocking it, I'll see if I can probe deeper into it and maybe I'm missing something. I see that it's connected on the router page with no issues. I'll test it later on.

Thank you

Beefonthalow
shadow

Post#4 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:42 pm

Just tested that and this is what i got
Attachments
92BE0AAF-6968-4686-B61A-3C4769B1D572.jpeg

Beefonthalow
shadow

Post#5 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:01 pm

Flashed a new Sd card to attempt to go back online, prior to putting it in i noticed both lights on the modem were on. The Dreamcast can connect to the modem, however I encountered the older problem where it states “Unable to load document”

Beefonthalow
shadow

Post#6 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:42 pm

Was able to go online, wasn't able to connect to web browser with that same error message. However Quake 3 worked and tested out sylverant which worked.