D-pad issue

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

mrazizpizza
noob

D-pad issue

Post#1 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:50 pm

Hey everyone! I’m pretty new to the Dreamcast so I don’t know if this is a normal issue or not. My Dreamcast controllers d-pad seems to need extra pressure to register a left input. The down input might also be affected but that one seems very close to the others where as the left definitely needs a decent amount more pressure. Does anyone have any suggestions to help fix it?

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Re: D-pad issue

Post#2 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:16 pm

I've had this same issue with many controllers for various consoles/handhelds. Most likely the rubber button membranes just need to be cleaned so that they make better contact with the pads on the board.

I've fixed it by taking apart the controller, taking out the rubber membrane underneath the offending button/D pad, and putting it onto a piece of paper. Push down on the membrane "button", and then gently move it a couple inches across the paper 2 or 3 times. It should leave a black streak on the paper from the black graphite pad. Repeat for all 4 "buttons" on the D Pad membrane.

It also wouldn't hurt to use a Q Tip and isopropyl alcohol to clean the pads on the PCB where the membranes sit.