Fixed RE:CV to play properly on cloned GDEMU

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

MoeFoh
Uber

Re: Fixed RE:CV to play properly on cloned GDEMU

Post#31 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:11 pm

ateam wrote:
megavolt85 wrote:
ateam wrote:I'm confused. Wasn't this patch supposed to only fix a previously unknown bug on disc 1 where this:

watch carefully the video from jse, he first demonstrates the original TOSEC image in which the error is present, then the image with the patch from yzb and there are no errors
1:23 - TOSEC with error
3:14 - patched without error

Thank you for your reply :)

I did watch the video, but I see him booting disc 2. However, this new patch from YZB is for disc 1. This is where I'm confused. How does a modification to disc 1 affect the gameplay in disc 2?

Could it be the save made to VMU when playing disc 1? Damn good detective work, ateam.
Last edited by MoeFoh on Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#32 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:12 pm

MoeFoh wrote:But all the binary replacements say disc 1. The video is from disc 2. I'm confused, too. Are there issues on both disc 1 and disc 2?

In my previous post (viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15359&start=20#p163575), I show screenshots from the disc 1 bug that YZB explained as "previously unknown", which seems completely separate from the "classic" disc 2 clone-GDEMU bug.

I'm going off a machine translation from Chinese to English here, so I could be very, very wrong. However, this other bug is what this new patch seems to be addressing.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

pitito
dark night

Post#33 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:29 pm

ateam wrote:
megavolt85 wrote:
ateam wrote:I'm confused. Wasn't this patch supposed to only fix a previously unknown bug on disc 1 where this:

watch carefully the video from jse, he first demonstrates the original TOSEC image in which the error is present, then the image with the patch from yzb and there are no errors
1:23 - TOSEC with error
3:14 - patched without error

Thank you for your reply :)

I did watch the video, but I see him booting disc 2. However, this new patch from YZB is for disc 1. This is where I'm confused. How does a modification to disc 1 affect the gameplay in disc 2?

The binary on both disks is the same, so both binaries must be replaced
This will fix both bugs.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#34 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:40 pm

pitito wrote:The binary on both disks is the same, so both binaries must be replaced
This will fix both bugs.

you are absolutely right, all the images that I posted contain both disks with the same fixed 1ST_READ.BIN

ateam wrote:However, this new patch from YZB is for disc 1.

no, it is designed for both images.
in all many disk images, 1ST_READ is the same for all images and you need to change it in all images, not just in the first one

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#35 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:50 pm

pitito wrote:The binary on both disks is the same, so both binaries must be replaced
This will fix both bugs.

megavolt85 wrote:no, it is designed for both images.
in all many disk images, 1ST_READ is the same for all images and you need to change it in all images, not just in the first one

Wow, this makes A LOT more sense now. Thank you, guys! I can't believe I didn't connect the dots on this one :lol:

Anyway, here's a ZIP containing GDIs for both disc 1 and 2 of the English-patched version of "Biohazard - Code Veronica - Kanzenban", which also includes YZB's bugfix patch.

And here's the 1ST_READ.BIN file for both discs by itself.

Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#36 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:17 pm

ateam wrote:
This will fix both bugs.

Wow, this makes A LOT more sense now. Thank you, guys! I can't believe I didn't connect the dots on this one :lol:

Anyway, here's a ZIP containing GDIs for both disc 1 and 2 of the English-patched version of "Biohazard - Code Veronica - Kanzenban", which also includes YZB's bugfix patch.

So, the disc 1 bug was not a game breaker, like the disc 2 tiger bug was, yes.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#37 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:28 pm

ateam wrote:
This will fix both bugs.

dubcity will be interested in this to update Collection #2.
- Charles Bukowski

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#38 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:00 pm

MoeFoh wrote:
ateam wrote:
This will fix both bugs.

dubcity will be interested in this to update Collection #2.

You're right I am interested in this. I'm just now catching up to what has happened in this thread. Thanks to everyone involved it getting these to work correctly. I'll try to update the collection thread later tonight.

truemaster1
dark night

Post#39 » Sun May 01, 2022 3:01 am

the patch must applied to both disks. and no the statement that disk 2 only has the fatal bug and disk 1 is fine to leave as it is is not correct. this game have issues when the read speed is not fixed. it can cut backround sound at random place. or hard lock the game at random place. it may not do anything of those at all. without gdemu fw fix (if original gdemu) of this patch is a jackpot

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Post#40 » Tue May 10, 2022 9:27 pm

I always found it silly and little off-putting that the new official firmware 'fix' for CV and SoA intro limited read speed globally. Seemed like a big sacrifice. I understand you can edit the ini and turn that off after playing the game and moving onto others, but not an overly smooth experience - seems like the dev should've made it detect CV and limit read speed without global setting

It must've been a huge deal getting this to work, given it was the top issue for the clones for years. And given that the new fw version clones have probably with disc swap button not working and require soldering, and probably come at a premium in an already inflated chip shortage market, this seems like the perfect approach to get an olld fw gdemu even if in the market now.

SoA imo is trivial, watch the intro on Youtube in entirety if really compelled and then carry on lol

so wild these were the only two bugs affected by the fast read speed out of the entire library!
--

Also always found the previous 'workaround' crazy that people discovered where people edit their save files to leap over that looping part in disc2 with the emerald. But definitely not as smooth as this,