Replacement DC Triggers?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

DCTurbo
lithium

Replacement DC Triggers?

Post#1 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:35 am

Picked up a lot of Junk Dc controllers from Japan, and sure enough, 9 out if 10 of them have broken right triggers and 3 are missing RT all together.

I have seen 3D printed bridges that can be used to fix triggers with snapped posts, but is there a template for a complete drop-in replacement?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Replacement DC Triggers?

Post#2 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:41 am

I doubt that, best bet is to look on Thingverse, they have a lot of Dreamcast related enhanced thumbstick replacements you can print for the controller so might have better triggers too?

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#3 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:10 am

How on earth can one break the trigger on a DC controller when those things can take a ton of beating? Unless it's a manufacturing defect or they deliberate went out their way to destroy it, I can't imagine it breaking through normal use.

DCTurbo
lithium

Post#4 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:12 pm

Its always kind of a gamble buying for parts / junk stuff on eBay, some people treat their consoles pretty rough and likely chuck their controllers around causing things to break.

Will print off a couple of these to fix the loose ones:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2343901

As for the 3 with missing triggers, I guess they will just be spares to fix others.
As well as needing a new plastic trigger shell, apparently there is a magnet on the edge that adjusts the analogue resistance.
https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/dreamcast.htm#pt4

fraggle200
chill

Post#5 » Fri May 05, 2023 12:11 pm

Tarnish wrote:How on earth can one break the trigger on a DC controller when those things can take a ton of beating? Unless it's a manufacturing defect or they deliberate went out their way to destroy it, I can't imagine it breaking through normal use.

both my JPN launch controllers have broken L+R triggers. must have beefed up the manufacturing after a while but it's just the pins that the trigger pivots on that goes.