NAOMI Rom in GDI

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Re: NAOMI Rom in GDI

Post#11 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:24 am

Ro Magnus Larsson wrote:
Wombat wrote:I suspect you ask this hoping/thinking you can run a NAOMI image on Dreamcast when it's a GDI, but you can't.

Surely it's possible to convert a NAOMI cartridge game into a GDI image, as its also possible to convert a Naomi GD-ROM to cartridge. But there is no (logical) reason for someone to put effort in doing this.

I have an exclusive NAOMI game which specifications are under Dreamcast capacities (it could run it), uses of RAM etc, so looking for doing some experimental thing

Its not just a matter of ram usage. Naomi uses different memory ranges than dreamcast and if i remember right from megavolt all naomi games use it extensively first. You would have to hack some things and be very knowledgeable in sh4 to boot.

Edit: it was p1pkin( works on demul) who said it best, all naomi games use the memory ranges non existant on dc first.

I suppose any NAOMI game uses "extra" RAM, because in many cases various data stored in stack-style (in "backwards" order, from very top to bottom)

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Post#12 » Wed May 04, 2022 11:28 am

Wombat wrote:When you say exclusive, do you mean you have a not publicly dumped NAOMI cartridge in your possession?

Nothing like that, there is few NAOMI games that do not need extra memory and are under Dreamcast specs
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#13 » Wed May 04, 2022 3:10 pm

Well don't keep it to yourself, tell us your thoughts on what games might work so we can analyze the situation. :D

megavolt85
Developer

Post#14 » Wed May 04, 2022 4:31 pm

I am also interested in how it was determined that some Naomi games use only 16 megabytes of the main memory, 8 megabytes of video memory and 2 megabytes of sound memory
It is not possible to determine by eye and even the simplest game can use the entire system memory to cach data

Motoracer5
blackout!

Post#15 » Thu May 05, 2022 11:39 am

megavolt85 wrote:I am also interested in how it was determined that some Naomi games use only 16 megabytes of the main memory, 8 megabytes of video memory and 2 megabytes of sound memory
It is not possible to determine by eye and even the simplest game can use the entire system memory to cach data

I wonder how optimized even the simple looking games are on these fixed platforms. To me it seems like if they get it running at target framerate without too many drops why do more work? Waste of time to optimize resource usage when no one will benefit

Motoracer5
blackout!

Post#16 » Thu May 05, 2022 11:43 am

Ro Magnus Larsson wrote:
Wombat wrote:When you say exclusive, do you mean you have a not publicly dumped NAOMI cartridge in your possession?

Nothing like that, there is few NAOMI games that do not need extra memory and are under Dreamcast specs

What games and how was this determined? Is there an emulator that shows how much memory and other resources the emulated game would be using on original hardware?