Sluggish and resets with disk in

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

krovellium
fire

Sluggish and resets with disk in

Post#1 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:19 pm

Bootedup my dreamcast (which has a dead CMOS battery.) Whenever i boot it with a game, it always resets, asks me for the date again, and then very slowly puts me back at the menu. When it does read, it leaves these weird circular scratches. Also, it changes the video resolution after the reset (shown in video)
6B51E6EF-42E0-4601-8246-4260900DBF40.jpeg

Here’s a video of the resetting.
https://youtu.be/QHxyCBFTxFI
Anything i could do to fix this? I heard soldering the main motherboard power connector can fix this

krovellium
fire

Re: Sluggish and resets with disk in

Post#2 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:59 pm

Found the problem, the disk head had a ton of debris on it. But the ring problem still stands. Any help?

Gocha
letterbomb

Post#3 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:28 am

With "the ring problem" you mean it's still leaving the circular scratches? what did cleaning the debris solved? I'm trying to understand what is the current state of the problem after cleaning.

kremiso
Rank 9

Post#4 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:15 am

You could open the console, removing the top plastic unit, and make start the disc spinning (turning on the DC), just to check if it's the laser unit that is scratching it.
Otherwise it could be something inside of the top unit

krovellium
fire

Post#5 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:00 pm

Gocha wrote:With "the ring problem" you mean it's still leaving the circular scratches? what did cleaning the debris solved? I'm trying to understand what is the current state of the problem after cleaning.

It’s not really a scratch, it’s more of a differently colored strip of the CD