Dreamcast replacement clock battery not lasting

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Robfozz
rebel

Dreamcast replacement clock battery not lasting

Post#1 » Sat May 07, 2022 5:47 pm

So, I've had the modded battery holder installed in my Dreamcast for a while, and I'm fairly certain it's working correctly, but my batteries aren't lasting more than a month for it. They **are** recharging, if I set the time and play my Dreamcast for a little bit, it will keep the time for a couple days at most but if I come back a week or so later, the clock is reset again. Ive tried leaving it on for a long time and seeing if that let the battery charge fully but it didn't make too much of a difference, if any.

Is this just normal? Ive tried a few different batteries over the years but none have been any different. Yes, I am using ML2032 batteries.
Pepperonium

Xiden
Developer

Re: Dreamcast replacement clock battery not lasting

Post#2 » Sat May 07, 2022 6:12 pm

What brand are you using? I use Maxell. Seems to last over a week for me and the longest of all ive tried. But yeah unfortunately if you aren't using it often then its likely going to run through the battery after about a week. At least in my experience

Ive heard its better to buy another solider in battery to last way longer instead of a socket per voultar.

krovellium
fire

Post#3 » Sat May 07, 2022 10:44 pm

Be absolutely sure it’s a ML2032 and you’re leaving it on for 4+ hours. 30 minutes won’t do.

MondoGecko
minority

Post#4 » Mon May 09, 2022 12:26 am

In my experience it's absolutely normal to have to set the clock again if your Dreamcast hasn't been used for about a month. Having the console powered on for 3-4 hours should give you full or close enough to full charge, but the reality is it's just not going to hold that charge for over a month. You'll have to use your Dreamcast more often than that to keep the charge. Avoid the LIR2032 batteries, they're not the correct voltage and require a protection circuit.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#5 » Mon May 09, 2022 2:12 pm

Maxell ML-2032 like Xiden pointed out.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs