Dreamcast stopped to read discs

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

spawnerbr
noob

Dreamcast stopped to read discs

Post#1 » Thu May 12, 2022 11:45 am

Hi all. I got some years ago a Dreamcast that worked with original games, burned games, burned CD using the serial dongle with Micro SD, but after a long period without use the console, no more media was readable. Even original CD audios.
So, I bought a new lens on AliExpress, model R48G 16P and same behaviour. Using a new ribbon flat cable too. Nothing is reading.
Any clue about my problem? Thanks.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Dreamcast stopped to read discs

Post#2 » Thu May 12, 2022 11:54 am

The potentiometer needs to be adjusted out of the box (just look up adjusting Dreamcast laser potentiometer). It won't work otherwise. That being said though, I've never been able to get the replacement lenses from China to work. I got one to work briefly after doing the adjustment but then it just died. :-(
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

spawnerbr
noob

Post#3 » Thu May 12, 2022 11:58 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:The potentiometer needs to be adjusted out of the box (just look up adjusting Dreamcast laser potentiometer). It won't work otherwise. That being said though, I've never been able to get the replacement lenses from China to work. I got one to work briefly after doing the adjustment but then it just died. :-(

Where I can find good laser replacement? But ever good lens, I need to adjust te potentiometer with an osciloscope?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Thu May 12, 2022 12:50 pm

There's a tutorial here on how to adjust the pot. Unfortunately I don't know of any place to get good replacement laser lenses. I've always just outright replaced the GD-ROM drive. But hey, maybe you'll have better luck than me with the Chinese one.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

spawnerbr
noob

Post#5 » Thu May 12, 2022 4:12 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:There's a tutorial here on how to adjust the pot. Unfortunately I don't know of any place to get good replacement laser lenses. I've always just outright replaced the GD-ROM drive. But hey, maybe you'll have better luck than me with the Chinese one.

I have tried to adjust the previously lens that came with the Dreamcast but nothing happened. So I replaced. Maybe the problem is not the lens.

bshi02
dark night

Post#6 » Thu May 12, 2022 11:58 pm

I think that chinese lens replacement will be work perfectly