The curious case of compact code circumventing conventional comencation

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Claeris
lithium

The curious case of compact code circumventing conventional comencation

Post#1 » Fri May 13, 2022 2:12 am

I have a somewhat unique problem. It doesn't sound very unique at first, so let me break it all down. Please, read through this to see what I've already tried before suggesting a fix. I'm frustrated enough by this.

So, to start, here's the basic problem: I have two games out of my 206ish disk collection that don't work properly. NFL Blitz 2000, and Roadsters. When trying to play either disk, it'll get to the Sega screen, then give up after a few seconds and reboot the console. Seems straightforward, right? Most people would say at this point to replace the power supply. Thing is, I already have.

Two consoles, three GD-Rom drives, 2 pico PSUs of different manufacture, and two different OEM PSUs. All fully working, caps checked, disk drive pots adjusted all over, and every piece of this equation frankensteined into every possible combination-- and still these two disks refuse to work.

What's more, I've replaced these disks with factory sealed copies right off ebay, and still no dice.

Lastly, and here's the kicker: Both games, factory-fresh disks and used ones, all work perfectly fine on a couple of stock 'casts I've sold in recent days. a VA0 and VA1, respectively. Both of my personal units are 1's.

I cannot figure this out. It's driving me up the wall knowing they work fine on other consoles but not these two, no matter what I do. It's also messing with my OCD seeing that I have two games I own that just plain will not work, even when they're new. Wayne Brady's about to choke a bitch here.

Does anyone have any possible insight into this issue? Experienced it yourselves, checks and all? The only thing I didn't try was taking the two I recently sold to my house. I used those at work. It may also be worth noting for anyone curious, I don't play burned games. Most I do with burned disks is the PSO patcher and code breaker to boot my Japanese games.

Halp.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: The curious case of compact code circumventing conventional comencation

Post#2 » Fri May 13, 2022 2:19 am

You do know a bunch of earl dc gdroms dont work factory sealed gives it away

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/defec ... 0-2460952/ report back in the day

faulty press run on about a 1/2 dozen launch titles. the ones that i know of were Sonic Adventure, NFL Blitz 2000, Hydro Thunder, and Ready 2 Rumble Boxing. etc

Is one of the ones that had bad pressing..

https://www.zdnet.com/article/dreamcast ... -problems/ post at the time as well hehe

Never buy factory seals gdroms most are the bad pressings people knew to sell them because they dont work at all.. There worth more not open..

More to dc then retail games or burned games there is tons of homebrew and new indie games .

MondoGecko
minority

Post#3 » Fri May 13, 2022 2:30 am

Based on what you've tried I'd assume it's some sort of issue with the motherboard and likely really difficult to diagnose. Maybe try replacing it if you can find a parts only Dreamcast at a good price.
EDIT: Ian Michael's post seems a lot more likely. Thanks for that, it's good information to have.

Claeris
lithium

Post#4 » Sun May 15, 2022 5:13 am

Yeah, def could be a bad pressing. I've never had a sealed game do this on me, though. It encouraged me to open the rest that I've just been sitting on and there were two more: coaster works, and a sega all stars version of world series baseball 2k2.

Ian Micheal wrote:You do know a bunch of earl dc gdroms dont work factory sealed gives it away

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/defec ... 0-2460952/ report back in the day

faulty press run on about a 1/2 dozen launch titles. the ones that i know of were Sonic Adventure, NFL Blitz 2000, Hydro Thunder, and Ready 2 Rumble Boxing. etc

Is one of the ones that had bad pressing..

https://www.zdnet.com/article/dreamcast ... -problems/ post at the time as well hehe

Never buy factory seals gdroms most are the bad pressings people knew to sell them because they dont work at all.. There worth more not open..

More to dc then retail games or burned games there is tons of homebrew and new indie games .

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Sun May 15, 2022 8:05 am

Too easy to avoid (uhm did Sonic 1 really have bad press I just went to All-Stars reissue)

Midways have a Hot New! on the manual and they disc are new color

EDIT: Roadsters sucha piece o crap the burn is the only one I believe @ all will boot, I've had two sent to me test on both 0 and 1 casts and cannot budge

Hol up, WSB2k2 that's a late game and it usually gets a weekly game night since being network multiplay live again, oh I checked my non-All-Stars it's 2k2 and my All-Stars from new is 2k1