Dreamcast online games without DMZ Hosting

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

CutieJoey
rebel

Dreamcast online games without DMZ Hosting

Post#1 » Thu May 19, 2022 12:40 am

Is it impossible to play selected Dreamcast games online without DMZ hosting? Can you please update the servers that require DMZ hosting optional? I really don’t want to mess up with my electronics. BTW DMZ and port forwarding really is a pain and too complicated to set up. Very frustrating!

deluxux
Black Mesa

Re: Dreamcast online games without DMZ Hosting

Post#2 » Thu May 19, 2022 4:04 am

Don't give up! Ask for help!!
What brand and model# is your router?
Post it here we can find the users manual PDF.
It should only take about 10 minutes tops for the entire ordeal... It's really not a big deal.

Xiden
Developer

Post#3 » Thu May 19, 2022 9:22 am

DMZ should be a breeze with most routers :) For most people its just entering the IP you want to DMZ in the router, the dreamcast always ends in xxx.xxx.xxx.98 So if you typed in 192.168.1.1 to access your router than the DMZ you enter is 192.168.1.98 and that's all you need.

but for the question, I believe Quake and PSO work without DMZ... I could be wrong
As long as you're the host a few more work like Worms for example. Its far easier just to get DMZ setup though.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Thu May 19, 2022 11:52 am

There idn't a thing no compromise to it

hax0rz hot afta yo Dreamcastz0rz

CutieJoey
rebel

Post#5 » Thu May 19, 2022 12:28 pm

You know what guys, I should try to wait next month to buy my own modem and internet provider. Because the modem i have right now is not in my room and it’s not a good quality modem. I think a modem like NETGEAR with DOCSIS 3.1 built in would be the best option. That would be great because NETGEAR is a very good brand for modems and routers. I should think about buying a NETGEAR Modem off from Amazon.com or eBay.com and the Optimum internet provider when I have the money. I would have to pay monthly for this internet provider and I hope it’s worth the money to get my Sega Dreamcast online with 192.168.1.98 and DMZ hosting.
Last edited by CutieJoey on Thu May 19, 2022 1:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CutieJoey
rebel

Post#6 » Thu May 19, 2022 12:30 pm

Thanks for helping me guys.

Spleet
dark night

Post#7 » Thu May 19, 2022 1:05 pm

Once you get DMZ'd your can play just about anything, but in some cases you'll need to be the host(worms, internet game pack). This is the situation I'm inn and i routinely cycle through 10 or so games without issue.

CutieJoey
rebel

Post#8 » Thu May 19, 2022 1:09 pm

I have to stick with the Dreamcast online games that don’t need DMZ for now.

Xiden
Developer

Post#9 » Thu May 19, 2022 3:11 pm

CutieJoey wrote:You know what guys, I should try to wait next month to buy my own modem and internet provider. Because the modem i have right now is not in my room and it’s not a good quality modem. I think a modem like NETGEAR with DOCSIS 3.1 built in would be the best option. That would be great because NETGEAR is a very good brand for modems and routers. I should think about buying a NETGEAR Modem off from Amazon.com or eBay.com and the Optimum internet provider when I have the money. I would have to pay monthly for this internet provider and I hope it’s worth the money to get my Sega Dreamcast online with 192.168.1.98 and DMZ hosting.

Is the modem you're using currently a Modem/Router combo?

CutieJoey
rebel

Post#10 » Thu May 19, 2022 7:27 pm

Yes it is a modem/router combo.