Brook Wingman SD

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

killer-elite
blackout!

Brook Wingman SD

Post#1 » Wed May 25, 2022 3:31 am

Quick question about the Brook Wingman SD... Is it possible to remove the Saturn dongle or it is soldered on the board inside the controller adapter?? I ask cause I remember I saw some guy who cut off the Saturn part with some scissors...I'm hoping its a simple plug in/out solution like most controllers have but doubt it being its a adapter and not exactly a controller. I have been searching google of pictures of the inside with no luck to answer my question, figured this was the best place to ask.

Motoracer5
blackout!

Re: Brook Wingman SD

Post#2 » Wed May 25, 2022 9:35 am

Pretty sure I lifted the white tabs and the connectors came out
Attachments
Screenshot_20220525-063336_Gallery.jpg

killer-elite
blackout!

Post#3 » Wed May 25, 2022 4:48 pm

Motoracer5 wrote:Pretty sure I lifted the white tabs and the connectors came out

Is that one connector for both DC and Saturn or just a connector for the Saturn??? I want to tidy up the controller situation but don't want to void my warranty if its not possible... Also how would you go about removing the connector, do you push,lift or need to unhinge some sort of tabs...any possible hints apprenticed so I can do it as smoothly and painless as possible. Also Thank You for the reply

Motoracer5
blackout!

Post#4 » Wed May 25, 2022 5:11 pm

Pretty sure a warranty sticker has to get damaged when you open it anyway. You can see the empty saturn plug on the bottom

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#5 » Wed May 25, 2022 7:45 pm

Photos for reference.
Attachments
WingmanSD_Photos.pdf
Brook's WingmanSD
(1.79 MiB) Downloaded 108 times
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

killer-elite
blackout!

Post#6 » Thu May 26, 2022 4:36 am

MoeFoh wrote:Photos for reference.

Awesome thank you so much for that PDF...that answers my question...Now I can open it and pull that Saturn Plug till I get myself a Saturn...I guess I could hot glue the empty hole to keep dust and bugs out

Dreamcazman
fire

Post#7 » Sat May 28, 2022 7:14 am

I opened mine and unsoldered the Saturn plug, no problem. If you do it, just be careful you completely remove all the old solder from the connector otherwise you can damage the board. The while connector is held in with snap pins (not sure of correct terminology) to hold the connector in place and then soldered. Removing the old solder without proper tools is rather difficult as you can't just heat it up and pull it out. If you think you'll damage the board, it'd be safer to just cut the cable off close to the white connector and leave it in place.

Only minor thing is that I wanted to move the DC cable to come out of the hole where the Saturn cable normally would, but it's a fraction too short. It would look a little nicer to be centred. It's no big deal though and looks a lot better than having a useless cable just hanging there if it's never going to be used.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#8 » Sat May 28, 2022 9:29 am

Dreamcazman wrote:I opened mine and unsoldered the Saturn plug, no problem. If you do it, just be careful you completely remove all the old solder from the connector otherwise you can damage the board. The while connector is held in with snap pins (not sure of correct terminology) to hold the connector in place and then soldered. Removing the old solder without proper tools is rather difficult as you can't just heat it up and pull it out. If you think you'll damage the board, it'd be safer to just cut the cable off close to the white connector and leave it in place.

Only minor thing is that I wanted to move the DC cable to come out of the hole where the Saturn cable normally would, but it's a fraction too short. It would look a little nicer to be centred. It's no big deal though and looks a lot better than having a useless cable just hanging there if it's never going to be used.

Can't you just pull each small tab up and then pull the wire out?
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

Dreamcazman
fire

Post#9 » Sun May 29, 2022 9:20 am

MoeFoh wrote:Can't you just pull each small tab up and then pull the wire out?

No, because the wires are crimped to the pins which are soldered to the board.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#10 » Sun May 29, 2022 9:50 am

Dreamcazman wrote:
MoeFoh wrote:Can't you just pull each small tab up and then pull the wire out?

No, because the wires are crimped to the pins which are soldered to the board.

I see. So the white part is more of a cover than a traditional connector. Weird.
- Charles Bukowski