Why are all my GDIs 1.10 GB?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

js100serch
shadow

Why are all my GDIs 1.10 GB?

Post#1 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:00 pm

Hi.

I bought a dreamcast with a GDEMU and it came with many games pre loaded, I deleted a bunch and tried to put in mine. But I've just realized that every single game I have is 1.10GB in size. While the GDIs the seller pre loaded varied in size, 780mb, 600mb, 300, 900, etc...

how can I get the real size?. I suspect not all these games are 1.10GB in size. What should I do?.

I'm using 0Extract Re-Build GDI's to build and extract images and GDEMU_SD to manage the 32GB SD card. I downloaded my images from here.

https://cdromance.com/dc-iso/sonic-adventure-2-usa/

Thanks.

Spleet
dark night

Re: Why are all my GDIs 1.10 GB?

Post#2 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:13 pm

GDI rips of that size are 1:1 duplicates of the GD(Gigabyte-Disc) disc image. To my understanding, often, these disc images would be padded with dummy files to optimize read/load time. Once ripped, however, the unnecessary files can be removed and/or compressed to occupy less space and be fit on a standard 700MB cd-r for backup. The 1.1GB files are the best choice for play as they're as close to a direct copy of the commercial disc image as you can get.

See: TOSEC archived dreamcast games

Dakangel
letterbomb

Post#3 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:12 pm

js100serch wrote:Hi.
I've just realized that every single game I have is 1.10GB in size. While the GDIs the seller pre loaded varied in size, 780mb, 600mb, 300, 900, etc...

how can I get the real size?. I suspect not all these games are 1.10GB in size. What should I do?
Thanks.

Use the gdemu / gdmenu card manager to enable the trimm option to shrink games and the list order

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#4 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:13 pm

You got ripped off if you didn't get the full 1.1gb image lol

megavolt85
Developer

Post#5 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:34 pm

Spleet wrote: The 1.1GB files are the best choice for play as they're as close to a direct copy of the commercial disc image as you can get.

:lol:
a dummy file only shifts data to the end of the disk, where the read speed is higher, this file is useless for ODE, it only takes up free space without bringing any benefit

BIN tracks contain data for error correction and synchronization, this is necessary for the disk, but absolutely useless for ODE, ODE also spends extra time discarding unnecessary garbage

saying that a 1.1GB image is better than a truncated and optimized GDI you are misleading people

fraggle200
chill

Post#6 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:46 am

I bought a dreamcast with a GDEMU and it came with many games pre loaded, I deleted a bunch and tried to put in mine. But I've just realized that every single game I have is 1.10GB in size. While the GDIs the seller pre loaded varied in size, 780mb, 600mb, 300, 900, etc...

how can I get the real size?. I suspect not all these games are 1.10GB in size. What should I do?.

I'm using 0Extract Re-Build GDI's to build and extract images and GDEMU_SD to manage the 32GB SD card. I downloaded my images from here.

Thanks.

have a look at the GDEMU collections in here viewforum.php?f=22 they're all truncated, where possible, so you should save the most amount of space by using images from them. If you can't see the Downloads section then you either need a verified post or have 5 posts on here before it appears. I can't remember what the rule is.

Personally, I'm with Megavolt on this. Even though the game data is intact on a truncated image I still get the niggling feeling that there's something missing once it's had the "junk" stripped out of it.

js100serch
shadow

Post#7 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:45 pm

Hi guys, thank you for your answers. I thought this forum was dead. So yea I downloaded a bunch of games form that list, it is awesome.

I have a problem though. Trickstyle appears to be broken. When I press start on the title screen que game freezes. The menu appears but without text, the music stops and that's it, it stays there. I can reset the console with the button combination we all know, and go back to the GDEMU menu. I'm playing on a NTSC console.

Any idea of what's going on?

Gromber
undertow

Post#8 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:50 am

hi! some games have problem when you truncate the gdi.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#9 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:01 pm

Gromber wrote:hi! some games have problem when you truncate the gdi.

I haven't seen them, give me an example

brunovieira90
minority

Post#10 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:12 pm

Thanks.

does the 0extract rebuild gdi you are using have a bat named build truncate gdi? if so, you should get the folder of the extracted files that you got using the extraction application to mount a new gdi without the dummy files. watch this video, it will help you a little with that.

https://youtu.be/o9XQUs9hSpg