Was just gifted a dreamcast with burned games, how to get them to load

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

v4mp_s0ulja
noob

Was just gifted a dreamcast with burned games, how to get them to load

Post#1 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:19 pm

Title says it all, my burned SF3: Third Strike has worked before but i forgot how to get it to do so, every time i try and boot it up it takes me back to the home screen

deluxux
Black Mesa

Re: Was just gifted a dreamcast with burned games, how to get them to load

Post#2 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:41 am

Could be the burner could be the console you will have to do more trial and error testing.

Dreamcazman
fire

Post#3 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:49 am

Most ripped games self boot, you don't need to do anything except insert and start it.

Don't forget, the discs these games are on are most likely over 20+ yrs old now (as is the console) and most are probably stuffed, as in, don't work anymore. Nothing you can do about it except reburn on new discs.

Much to the dismay of many a gamer, CD-R's don't last forever and depending on the quality of the blank discs used, some may still work, some won't.

Or the laser in the DC needs a clean or could be worn out too. Try with a genuine game to prove the system itself is working ok.

krovellium
fire

Post#4 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:58 pm

If it shows the Sega logo then back to the main menu, your drive is fucked.
If it says “insert game disc” and reads regular games, then your console isn’t a VA1 model, or the person burning the games used an ISO dump, with the former being more common