Stock PSU voltage region compatibility JAP vs UK?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

DUZLA
Fancy Pants Admin

Stock PSU voltage region compatibility JAP vs UK?

Post by DUZLA »

New to the site. Great to see the DC community alive & kicking.

Ok I have an old DC I've unearthed from my cellar, ,, My eldest is currently into old retro games consoles, already nicked my PS1 PS2 PSV NDS Wii ect of me now I've got my old DC (HTK-3010 / 670-13624A) JAP version,

I am from the UK when I bought it, it came with a stepdown adapter for 240v to 110v worked great,
Now I've dug it out & cleaned it I'm unsure of the Voltage adapter after all these years to be safe, I'm not keen on spending money on new PSU's Pico ect ,so I researched the original PSU (DC is near mint condition under the hood).

PSU looks fine caps pcb, I've searched the apes of it & found nothing related to region Volt but as I see the input part it sates on pcb..

AC250V 1.6A
85VAC-132VAC 50HZ/60HZ

My Question is woul a normal 8 plug with UK 240v work ok or would I need to still use a stepdown to 110v?

I'll be puttin me son onto the forum soon as I get the DC to work,
It'd be a shame I got a shed load of accessories Arcade pad Gun Rod UK modem plus lots of pads.
I was a old DC gamer made my own HB discs emu cdi vids..

TIA DUZLA+
megavolt85
Developer

Re: Stock PSU voltage region compatibility JAP vs UK?

Post by megavolt85 »

DUZLA wrote:My Question is woul a normal 8 plug with UK 240v work ok or would I need to still use a stepdown to 110v?
do not plug it into a 240V socket, your power supply will burn out, and the capacitor may even explode.
Dreamcazman
fire

Post by Dreamcazman »

You have to use a stepdown transformer as the DC does not have a universal power supply.

Having said that, there is a mod you can do on some of the early Japanese DC PSU's to effectively make it 240v compatible, but I've never done it and don't know it's validity.

If you try this mod, as always, when working with power supplies of any kind, do so at your own risk. Be careful as caps can still give you a shock even when unplugged.
MastaG
Quad Damage

Post by MastaG »

Or just get yourself a PicoPSU from AliExpress.
Dreamcazman
fire

Post by Dreamcazman »

MastaG wrote:Or just get yourself a PicoPSU from AliExpress.
He didn't want to buy any new parts.
cordload
Fancy Pants Admin

Post by cordload »

Just did psu mod on my jap dreamcast (launch model) to 240v, need to replace one cap and one resistor that's it, easy mod if you have basics in soldering.
segalover08
rebel

Post by segalover08 »

o pico psu on the bay, or 110V stepdown power supply if jap.