Strange artifacts

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Bubbaloo
noob

Strange artifacts

Post#1 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:24 am

Hey guys! I recently modded my Dreamcast after being many years in hiatus. I have the GDMU installed. After playing for a bit I’m getting a bit of artifacts on the screen. Doesn’t matter if I use vga to hdmi or regular RCA.

I did get the 3d printed part for the GDMU. I just bought the no tus fan upgrade to see if that helps.

I have kept playing though and it goes away and comes back randomly.

Am I looking at a messed up GPU? Or is the Noctua fan upgrade going to help out with this?

MondoGecko
minority

Re: Strange artifacts

Post#2 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:01 am

This type of thing really just depends on many factors and requires troubleshooting. What kind of artifacts are you seeing? Replacing the fan is very unlikely to fix the issue. Have you tried reinstalling and testing the GD-ROM drive? A faulty GDEMU is possible, or dying GPU like you already suggested. Power supply interference is a likely culprit as well. How are the capacitors looking? Any bulging or leaking? Try cleaning the pins connecting to the power supply as well. Cleaning in general is a good idea. Video connection interference is possible. Try cleaning the AV port as well.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Strange artifacts

Post#3 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:41 am

Bubbaloo wrote:Hey guys! I recently modded my Dreamcast after being many years in hiatus. I have the GDMU installed. After playing for a bit I’m getting a bit of artifacts on the screen. Doesn’t matter if I use vga to hdmi or regular RCA.

I did get the 3d printed part for the GDMU. I just bought the no tus fan upgrade to see if that helps.

I have kept playing though and it goes away and comes back randomly.

Am I looking at a messed up GPU? Or is the Noctua fan upgrade going to help out with this?

Did it have problems before you modded it ? Sounds like overheating of some sort..

If it was fine before you modded it i put it back to stock and then see could be Gdemu or some other parts..

If the fan does not spin you will just get a black screen ..

Seen ths many times when people install a gdemu then this starts. Did you do the resistor mod to the PSU if not on some it builds up heat and will kill it over time.. Not all mine it dont but seen many users with this problem..