New dreamcast owners questions

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

ItsTheSmell
noob

New dreamcast owners questions

Post#1 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:18 am

Ive just been given a DC for my birthday. Is there anything i need to do to it to keep it in good working condition?
Recap it?
Hack it?
New psu?

Thanks in advance

Daz

Wombat
Vagabond

Re: New dreamcast owners questions

Post#2 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:41 am

Awesome gift 8-)!

The Dreamcast doesn't really have parts that need pro-active attention. The only thing you might want to replace is the internal CMOS battery, this one is most likely dead resulting in the DATE/TIME not saving. This does not impact playability at all, its just annoying to have to enter the DATE/TIME everything you use it.

Recap or new PSU is not needed, unless you're experiencing problems. That being said, I would recommend installing a GDEMU as replacement to the GD-DRIVE. Having pretty much zero loading times and the ability to play games without swapping/inserting discs is a great luxury.

FlorreW
Animated Violence

Post#3 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:13 pm

Best birthday present imho.

Enjoy my friend and take care of it !

Dreamtastic
lithium

Post#4 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:49 pm

As stated by @Wombat the CMOS battery really is the only thing and for just starting out with the DC this isn't a big deal. CD-R backups ruining the laser is a myth as well. All i can really say is enjoy as the Dreamcast is truly a one of a kind experience and can still have some amazing experience with even all these years later! Any question feel free to ask as the folks of DCTalk and myself have been around the DC for a long time and always happy to answer any questions!

Sboomboom
shadow

Post#5 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:32 pm

If it works, and you have games, play it until it dies or you get really hooked. That way you can suffer/appreciate the outboard motor like sound blasting out of it. Then get the damn gdemu or something similar and its a wrap. you'll have been through dc bootcamp and off into the unknown, nearly silent while having anything you want to play with faster loading.

MikeStutzzzz
Outrun

Post#6 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:19 am

I think there is a fuse on the controller board you can replace as well as the CMOS battery
Meh Stuff http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18650#p18650
Before you download meh mirrors read this
http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2353&p=22482#p22482

j.martinez2447
noob

Post#7 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:35 pm

Noctua fan is a luxury mod, but def a game changer for console noise. The original fan noise is a thing of nostalgia, but it just sounds like the little guy is working so hard. The Noctua makes it sound like 202X tech inside a 9.9.99 shell.