Broken AV Out Tab

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Broken AV Out Tab

Post#1 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:32 pm

Just have a quick question, probably already know the answer but figure it would not hurt to ask.

Been tinkering with a Dreamcast that had a video out issue, checked mobo and looked fine, though some of the solder joints seemed to lack some solder, touched that up easy and tried again, still nothing.

While doing the tests it seemed to me that something was off putting in the av cables (or in this case the POUND cable). Just to eliminate it being a cable issue or a specific pin, i used both a AV and S video cables, neither did anything but the issue of it not fitting right seemed to be consistent. Using some magnifying glasses and looking at the av port itself (the pins that connect to whatever cables you plug in) the left side of the plastic tab that does a L was broken off, the pins themselves all appear to be fine.

However looking at it closer, it seemed to be part of the broken plastic jammed at the very back, causing the left side of the cable to not fully seat in, which im betting is the actual issue of it not getting a complete connection. Tried using some very thin tweezers i use for soldering but whatever it is i cant get it out without fear of breaking something else.
broken out.PNG

(Included picture shows a example which side its broken on and the l shape part thats broken off)

I know the obvious answer is to either buy a new mobo or do a mod, however im not sure my skills are high enough to do the job, at least the part of modifying the shell to make it not look ugly. Was curious if its possible to just buy/replace the av end and re solder a new one on or if someone has any other ideas?

cordload
noob

Re: Broken AV Out Tab

Post#2 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:38 pm

yes you can resolder a new connector, but this connector shares its body with serial connector too. Problem is, i think there is no place to buy a new connector. You need to buy a used mobo (30usd) desolder connector without damaging it (hardest part), but it can be done. Any notepad repair shop can do this.

Dreamcazman
fire

Re: Broken AV Out Tab

Post#3 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:27 am

Besides changing the port completely, you might be able to get in there with a very fine flat screwdriver and get that bit of plastic out which may fix the problem.

Alternatively, install a DC Digital and just use a HDMI connection.