What launcher is everyone using GDMenu Openmenu?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Bassa-Bassa
shadow

Re: What launcher is everyone using GDMenu Openmenu?

Post#11 » Tue May 09, 2023 6:57 am

dubcity wrote:If you manually added the games without a card manager app then gdemu reads the IP.bin file inside each iso file.

Yeah, I did. Many thanks for clarifying that, so it was a GD-Emu thing and not a GD Menu one.

I thought GD-Menu somehow took it from every ISO, but, as it also uses cover art by itself for every game and to my understanding that's not part of the ISO, I thought it used an internal DB or something.

Noob question again - are the game name in the IP.bin files easily editable, or I shouldn't even try as it forces you to rebuild the ISO or something?

dubcity wrote:Card managers create a file that is used to display names.

It's curious that card managers do it and GD Menu by itself doesn't, isn't it? Does that file have a particular format and use other special files to work which only provide the card managers or could it just be created externally?

dubcity wrote:Openmenu currently runs some cdi files but not all. Xenocider is a big name game in cdi that it doesn't play. Mrneo240 is still working on support. It reads all gdi files though.

So it's a matter of trying it, I guess. I'm only interested in the Atomiswave conversions, anyway. Thanks again!

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#12 » Tue May 09, 2023 8:00 am

Can get proper GDI Atomiswave conversions you not want the crap cdi anyways..

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#13 » Tue May 09, 2023 9:21 am

Bassa-Bassa wrote:
dubcity wrote:If you manually added the games without a card manager app then gdemu reads the IP.bin file inside each iso file.

Yeah, I did. Many thanks for clarifying that, so it was a GD-Emu thing and not a GD Menu one.

I thought GD-Menu somehow took it from every ISO, but, as it also uses cover art by itself for every game and to my understanding that's not part of the ISO, I thought it used an internal DB or something.

Noob question again - are the game name in the IP.bin files easily editable, or I shouldn't even try as it forces you to rebuild the ISO or something?

dubcity wrote:Card managers create a file that is used to display names.

It's curious that card managers do it and GD Menu by itself doesn't, isn't it? Does that file have a particular format and use other special files to work which only provide the card managers or could it just be created externally?

dubcity wrote:Openmenu currently runs some cdi files but not all. Xenocider is a big name game in cdi that it doesn't play. Mrneo240 is still working on support. It reads all gdi files though.

So it's a matter of trying it, I guess. I'm only interested in the Atomiswave conversions, anyway. Thanks again!

Gdemu/Gdmenu displays name from ip.bin and cover image both embedded in iso (CDI/GDI) file. Disassemble the iso (CDI/GDI) change the files to what you want then reassemble. Time consuming if you have a lot of isos (CDI/GDI). You should use gdi files on your card since gdemu is an optical drive emulator and gdi are the original intended format that Sega printed retail discs on. Unless you are trying to use cdi files from an unique collection like YZB's that have all characters unlocked in fighting games or something.

Card manager apps have option to edit the names displayed by menu so each game isn't called bootdreams.

You should use the gdi files of atomiswave games from atomiswave section of this site.
Last edited by dubcity on Tue May 23, 2023 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bassa-Bassa
shadow

Post#14 » Tue May 09, 2023 10:05 am

Understood now the ISO file thing, I think - it's not the "ISO" of every game, but GD-Menu's own ISO file; many thanks. I'll check it out soon. Does Open Menu also use the same method to retrieve game names for its own list?

And right, my mistake. For some reason I thought the AW conversions were CDI originally. Thanks both of you.

As for the card manager, the question is if it saves the name changes in a particular file which the menu program can also read or if it actually edits the ISO's ip.bin file.

lordeilluminati
noob

Post#15 » Wed May 17, 2023 1:08 pm

As for the card manager, the question is if it saves the name changes in a particular file which the menu program can also read or if it actually edits the ISO's ip.bin file.

It only changes the txt file that every game has on its folder.

Bassa-Bassa
shadow

Post#16 » Thu May 18, 2023 6:52 pm

lordeilluminati wrote:It only changes the txt file that every game has on its folder.

Hi! Thanks for chiming in. That's precisely what I'm asking, I guess. My disc images don't have any TXT file (and, correct me if I'm wrong, that's how it usually is for any normal rip - txt files aren't part of the image).

After a bit of internet browsing, I'm finding some DC ISOs out there that have a name.txt file with the disc name as the file's text together with the rest of the image files. Is this the format (name.txt) for both, GD-Menu and Open Menu (or is it even a GD-Emu thing actually, superseding any game selection menu?

Bassa-Bassa
shadow

Post#17 » Sun May 21, 2023 7:27 am

Well, definitely it's not a name.txt for GD-Menu. Hopefully I have better luck with Open Menu.

Bassa-Bassa
shadow

Post#18 » Mon May 22, 2023 12:34 pm

dubcity wrote:If you manually added the games without a card manager app then gdemu reads the IP.bin file inside each iso file. Card managers create a file that is used to display names.

I apparently can't use Open Menu without SD Card Manager, so last try I'm doing in this regard - could anyone clarify what type is that file that card managers create to display game names and where is it placed within the SD card's directory?

Thanks.

Bassa-Bassa
shadow

Post#19 » Mon May 22, 2023 2:41 pm

One more thing, though - There is an image collection made for GD-Menu you can download from IA which mentions this:

Inside each game folder is a text file that will help display correct name on menu (not included, throws virus detection on IA, so the item gets deleted, probably a false detection).

For every game folder there is indeed a name.txt file with the game name inside together with the rest of the image files. The authors of this collection are expert members here, so they should know what they were doing. However, as I mentioned, placing a name.txt file into my image folders didn't work for my GD-Menu installation as the menu still displayed the original game names and not the ones in the name.txt files. So the question is, is it possible that the name.txt files in this collection got the file name changed or something removed because of that virus warning, hence it's not working for me (or again, could anyone please just confirm the name/format of these txt files used to display the game names)?

It's important basically because I have to build manually my SD card, so I'd like to save myself from manually adding and editing a wrong text file for every freaking game. It's possible that when I added the name.txt files for testing, GD-Menu didn't read them because the menu was already created and I didn't add a new and clean 01 folder which might be needed for it, but it would help if I could discard the former case.

Thanks again for reading.

Edit.- Nope, adding a new 01 GD-Menu folder didn't work either. I don't think it recreated the displayed game list, but anyway.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#20 » Tue May 23, 2023 9:16 am

Bassa-Bassa wrote:One more thing, though - There is an image collection made for GD-Menu you can download from IA which mentions this:

Inside each game folder is a text file that will help display correct name on menu (not included, throws virus detection on IA, so the item gets deleted, probably a false detection).

For every game folder there is indeed a name.txt file with the game name inside together with the rest of the image files. The authors of this collection are expert members here, so they should know what they were doing. However, as I mentioned, placing a name.txt file into my image folders didn't work for my GD-Menu installation as the menu still displayed the original game names and not the ones in the name.txt files. So the question is, is it possible that the name.txt files in this collection got the file name changed or something removed because of that virus warning, hence it's not working for me (or again, could anyone please just confirm the name/format of these txt files used to display the game names)?

It's important basically because I have to build manually my SD card, so I'd like to save myself from manually adding and editing a wrong text file for every freaking game. It's possible that when I added the name.txt files for testing, GD-Menu didn't read them because the menu was already created and I didn't add a new and clean 01 folder which might be needed for it, but it would help if I could discard the former case.

Thanks again for reading.

Edit.- Nope, adding a new 01 GD-Menu folder didn't work either. I don't think it recreated the displayed game list, but anyway.

You have been given all the answers you need in this thread and they all loop back to you using one of the card manager apps to accomplish what you want to do. I don't know what your circumstances are that are keeping you from using the card manager apps but you will have to figure that out.

To repeat what has already been said here....The isos have the name and cover image embedded in them. To make them what you want without using the card manager apps, you will have to disassemble the iso (CDI/GDI), change the name in ip.bin file, change/delete the cover image, then reassemble the iso (CDI/GDI). Do that for each game. Otherwise use one of the card manager apps to change the name and live with whatever the cover image is.

You already confirmed you can't find the file that changes the names when you manually loaded the games. You confirmed the .txt files inside the folders didn't work when you manually loaded the games. So therefore they work with the card manager apps. But you won't use them. The card manager by madsheep is the easiest since it makes the same basic menu you get by manually loading. Again I have no clue what your circumstances are but you will have to use one of those apps to get the names the way you want. Or use different isos (CDI/GDI).
Last edited by dubcity on Tue May 23, 2023 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.