What launcher is everyone using GDMenu Openmenu?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Bassa-Bassa
shadow

Re: What launcher is everyone using GDMenu Openmenu?

Post#21 » Tue May 23, 2023 4:15 pm

dubcity wrote:
You have been given all the answers you need in this thread and they all loop back to you using one of the card manager apps to accomplish what you want to do. I don't know what your circumstances are that are keeping you from using the card manager apps but you will have to figure that out.

To repeat what has already been said here....The isos have the name and cover image embedded in them. To make them what you want without using the card manager apps, you will have to disassemble the iso, change the name in ip.bin file, change/delete the cover image, then reassemble the iso. Do that for each game. Otherwise use one of the card manager apps to change the name and live with whatever the cover image is.

You already confirmed you can't find the file that changes the names when you manually loaded the games. You confirmed the .txt files inside the folders didn't work when you manually loaded the games. So therefore they work with the card manager apps. But you won't use them. The card manager by madsheep is the easiest since it makes the same basic menu you get by manually loading. Again I have no clue what your circumstances are but you will have to use one of those apps to get the names the way you want. Or use different isos.

Hi, forgive my foolishness. It's basically due to believing that whatever a card manager does to GD-Menu for custom game naming, it had to be made with external files, given the closed nature of the latter, and especially after finding out that game collection with the name.txt files I mentioned. I also didn't understand you totally because you refer to the DC disc images as ISOs, and also the concept of a disc image containing meta data such as JPG files (which don't belong to the original ROM data itself) is new to me - I'm not too used to this stuff.

I can't run SD Card Manager on my Windows computer, and I had discarded Madsheep's Card Maker after reading that you can't edit game names for the display with it. I've just given this one a try (V1.10, 24-04-2018) and I'm afraid I'm still out of luck - I find options to move, delete or verify the images but none that lets me edit the game names, even by right-clicking on the list. I've found something, though - for the disc images I have a name.txt file in the folder, Card Maker displays the name contained in the file. However, after letting it save the resulting list, my GD-Menu still displays the original game names instead of the ones shown by Card Maker. It, however, did delete the 01 folder's content, which I replaced with a clean one. I guess that's what broke the process.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#22 » Tue May 23, 2023 5:39 pm

Bassa-Bassa wrote:
dubcity wrote:
You have been given all the answers you need in this thread and they all loop back to you using one of the card manager apps to accomplish what you want to do. I don't know what your circumstances are that are keeping you from using the card manager apps but you will have to figure that out.

To repeat what has already been said here....The isos have the name and cover image embedded in them. To make them what you want without using the card manager apps, you will have to disassemble the iso, change the name in ip.bin file, change/delete the cover image, then reassemble the iso. Do that for each game. Otherwise use one of the card manager apps to change the name and live with whatever the cover image is.

You already confirmed you can't find the file that changes the names when you manually loaded the games. You confirmed the .txt files inside the folders didn't work when you manually loaded the games. So therefore they work with the card manager apps. But you won't use them. The card manager by madsheep is the easiest since it makes the same basic menu you get by manually loading. Again I have no clue what your circumstances are but you will have to use one of those apps to get the names the way you want. Or use different isos.

Hi, forgive my foolishness. It's basically due to believing that whatever a card manager does to GD-Menu for custom game naming, it had to be made with external files, given the closed nature of the latter, and especially after finding out that game collection with the name.txt files I mentioned. I also didn't understand you totally because you refer to the DC disc images as ISOs, and also the concept of a disc image containing meta data such as JPG files (which don't belong to the original ROM data itself) is new to me - I'm not too used to this stuff.

I can't run SD Card Manager on my Windows computer, and I had discarded Madsheep's Card Maker after reading that you can't edit game names for the display with it. I've just given this one a try and I'm afraid I'm still lost - I find options to move, delete or verify the images but none that lets me edit the game names, even by right-clicking on the game names. I've found something, though - for the disc images I have a name.txt file in the folder, Card Maker displays the name contained in the file. However, after letting it save the resulting list, my GD-Emu still displays the original game names instead of the ones shown by Card Maker. It, however, did delete the 01 folder's content, which I replaced with a clean one. I guess that's what broke the process.

When I said iso I meant CDI/GDI. I've gone back thru all my posts here and added that so there isn't any confusion for anyone who reads this thread in the future.

Madsheeps GDEMU SD application has a check box for menu on the bottom right side.
GDEMU SD 128GB card filled up 191 games.png

Once checked and you have added all your games press the save button. Then you get the screen to edit the game names.
GDEMU SD Instructions 07.png

If you are using old scene rips or old homebrew you will come across a lot of games that display boot dreams as the game name. You must check the menu button and then save button. Change the names if need be to what you want then press done. Then you're good to go. This will save you a long loading screen when you start up your system. The GDEMU will get hung up on a lot of games having the same boot dreams name.

The .txt files inside the game folders you found have the game name in them. The GDEMU SD application will read them and display on main screen.

Bassa-Bassa
shadow

Post#23 » Tue May 23, 2023 7:55 pm

Thanks a lot. A shame such valuable info isn't included within the program package. Is it normal that after the process you get an empty 02 folder and the GD-Menu file in 01 gets renamed? Should those stay intact?

And out of curiousity since I'm such a noob - is it normal as well that GDI rips (of regular DC games) are made public with an embedded image file with the game cover and other added data or are there some people also compiling disc images as clean as possible?

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#24 » Tue May 23, 2023 8:31 pm

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Thanks a lot. A shame such valuable info isn't included within the program package. Is it normal that after the process you get an empty 02 folder and the GD-Menu file in 01 gets renamed? Should those stay intact?

And out of curiousity since I'm such a noob - is it normal as well that GDI rips (of regular DC games) are made public with an embedded image file with the game cover and other added data or are there some people also compiling disc images as clean as possible?

An empty 02 folder and renamed file in folder 01 is not normal. Delete both inside GDEMU SD and press save to the card again. Make sure the menu is the way you want it again then press done. If this doesn't fix it then you will need to use file explorer to look at the card and delete the unwanted folders.

Post a link the this collection you say you found. I need to see what you are talking about before I talk more about that.

Bassa-Bassa
shadow

Post#25 » Wed May 24, 2023 8:05 pm

That worked, thank you again. It wasn't working before because there was already a folder 01 with the GD-Menu file I had added, as I couldn't imagine the program would add another program (GD-Menu) by itself. It's too bad a simple manual isn't included with Card Maker, as the app is great. Hopefully the author is well.

Re: GDI rips, there's again a misunderstanding, I believe? I'm not talking about any particular collection, but for instance, in Internet Archive's Dreamcast GDI Japan Collection by Eagleforce there're many rips which must have a cover art image file embedded, because GD-Menu displays them. My question was if there's any collection which keeps the rips clean of added data like that. I mean, I'd be surprised if there isn't when apparently so many groups are worried about clean, unadultered game dumps for other systems.

RazorX
brutal

Post#26 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:59 pm

Bassa-Bassa wrote:That worked, thank you again. It wasn't working before because there was already a folder 01 with the GD-Menu file I had added, as I couldn't imagine the program would add another program (GD-Menu) by itself. It's too bad a simple manual isn't included with Card Maker, as the app is great. Hopefully the author is well.

Re: GDI rips, there's again a misunderstanding, I believe? I'm not talking about any particular collection, but for instance, in Internet Archive's Dreamcast GDI Japan Collection by Eagleforce there're many rips which must have a cover art image file embedded, because GD-Menu displays them. My question was if there's any collection which keeps the rips clean of added data like that. I mean, I'd be surprised if there isn't when apparently so many groups are worried about clean, unadultered game dumps for other systems.

PAL: https://archive.org/download/18wheelera ... 1segapalm4
NTSC-U: https://archive.org/download/tosecdcus20190822
NTSC-J: https://archive.org/download/interludev ... rchanneljp