GDemu not properly playing games

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

SanicTeam
shadow

Re: GDemu not properly playing games

Post#11 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:26 pm

Spleet wrote:Certain GDMenu versions are picky when it comes to .cdi games. It is recommended that you use complete .GDI images for greater compatibility. I have a separate SD card specifically for certain .cdi files that, for whatever reason, are not bootable in my current openMenu setup. This is anecdotal, but it may help.

Thats good to know, thank you! But all my titles are GDI and only have 1 CDI title. It's strange to me since knowing that GDI is better should mean that I would have less problems, but it seems like they're still a problem.

SanicTeam
shadow

Post#12 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:42 am

Alrighty! Ive finally figured out my solution! I've found out about openMenu and one of the features that caught my eye was "using GDMENU loader for higher compatibility of gd-rom + cdi". So I looked around till I found this forum, viewtopic.php?f=42&t=13700&p=170653#p170653 , where the gdmenu sd card manager was updated to change from gdMenu and openMenu. With the given files that were inside the openMenu folder, it didn't exactly work. Once i booted up my Dreamcast it loaded openMenu but looked glitchy and didnt load 1 game at all.

So, I completely cleared out the menu_data folder inside of the openMenu folder, and pasted over another openMenu from https://github.com/mrneo240/openmenu/re ... 2-4_alpha2 , and also added in the assets from https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ocj3no ... DAT_latest on the same folder.

To my surprise it worked! I tried Sonic Adventure and it was working like a charm! But it was up until I opened Crazy Taxi that I noticed I had another problem. The music would stutter and completely stop playing and parts of the map wouldn't want to load at all. But I simply fixed this issue by using AOMEI Partition Assistant to format my SD card to have a cluster size of 64kb.

And the rest is history! It loaded all my GDI games perfectly fine! Except for one title in particular. Im lookin at you Half Life! Yeah the CDI file I have for Half Life doesn't seem to load in at all and trying to add Half Life manually through gdmenu sd card manager gave me an error and couldn't copy the title in the sd card. I am not entirely sure if the reason why it didnt work is because its a CDI file (Though it weird considering that the other gdMenu's I've been using load CDI's just fine). If it were possible to convert a game from CDI to GDI I'd do it in a heartbeat!

I would like to thank everyone who posted comments on this forum! It really helped me out! I'm really happy to see a community of people who still love the Dreamcast! You all saved my skin, and I wouldn't know what to do without this site! I'm sure my brother is gonna love this Dreamcast for his present!

chetanfor
noob

Post#13 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:48 am

The GDEMU menu loads perfectly and shows all 100 of the games I've put onto the SD card, but whenever I pick a game to play it loads for a moment, then the Dreamcast intro animation plays and suddenly I'm back in the GDEMU menu, looping whenever I pick another game.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#14 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:37 am

SanicTeam wrote:Alrighty! Ive finally figured out my solution! I've found out about openMenu and one of the features that caught my eye was "using GDMENU loader for higher compatibility of gd-rom + cdi". So I looked around till I found this forum, viewtopic.php?f=42&t=13700&p=170653#p170653 , where the gdmenu sd card manager was updated to change from gdMenu and openMenu. With the given files that were inside the openMenu folder, it didn't exactly work. Once i booted up my Dreamcast it loaded openMenu but looked glitchy and didnt load 1 game at all.

So, I completely cleared out the menu_data folder inside of the openMenu folder, and pasted over another openMenu from https://github.com/mrneo240/openmenu/re ... 2-4_alpha2 , and also added in the assets from https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ocj3no ... DAT_latest on the same folder.

To my surprise it worked! I tried Sonic Adventure and it was working like a charm! But it was up until I opened Crazy Taxi that I noticed I had another problem. The music would stutter and completely stop playing and parts of the map wouldn't want to load at all. But I simply fixed this issue by using AOMEI Partition Assistant to format my SD card to have a cluster size of 64kb.

And the rest is history! It loaded all my GDI games perfectly fine! Except for one title in particular. Im lookin at you Half Life! Yeah the CDI file I have for Half Life doesn't seem to load in at all and trying to add Half Life manually through gdmenu sd card manager gave me an error and couldn't copy the title in the sd card. I am not entirely sure if the reason why it didnt work is because its a CDI file (Though it weird considering that the other gdMenu's I've been using load CDI's just fine). If it were possible to convert a game from CDI to GDI I'd do it in a heartbeat!

I would like to thank everyone who posted comments on this forum! It really helped me out! I'm really happy to see a community of people who still love the Dreamcast! You all saved my skin, and I wouldn't know what to do without this site! I'm sure my brother is gonna love this Dreamcast for his present!

What games are you wanting to convert from cdi to gdi all retail you should be able to get the GDI version.. Talking half life ?