Dreamcast Component Cables?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

killer-elite
blackout!

Dreamcast Component Cables?

Post#1 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:29 am

I found this eBay listing for Dreamcast Component Cables that are listed as RGBS/RGB Cables??? Does any one here own a set and can give me feedback if they any good or junk compared to S-Video/VGA/SCART? Thanks.
Attachments
s-l1600 (26).jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg

megavolt85
Developer

Re: Dreamcast Component Cables?

Post#2 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:35 am

this is the same as SCART, only intended for TVs in which RGB is connected with separate RCA connectors

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Post#3 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:56 am

Personally I wouldn't give the time of day to any generic cables that can be found on eBay, AliExpress etc. Feel free to investigate, but I wouldn't expect great results.

I use the RetroGamingCables 480p SCART cable with my Framemeister in my setup, which gives a lovely crystal clear image that's just as good as (maybe better than?) that offered by my official PS2 component cable. I'd definitely recommend it if you have equipment that accepts a 31KHz signal over SCART.

killer-elite
blackout!

Post#4 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:02 am

OlivusPrime wrote:Personally I wouldn't give the time of day to any generic cables that can be found on eBay, AliExpress etc. Feel free to investigate, but I wouldn't expect great results.

I use the RetroGamingCables 480p SCART cable with my Framemeister in my setup, which gives a lovely crystal clear image that's just as good as (maybe better than?) that offered by my official PS2 component cable. I'd definitely recommend it if you have equipment that accepts a 31KHz signal over SCART.

I wish I had a HDTV with SCART on it that would rule, from what I read SCART works for all Dreamcast games and is superior to S-Video and just as good as VGA (to a certain degree) and with 100% game compatibility it is worth its weight in gold in my book...maybe one day I will track one down

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#5 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:57 am

killer-elite wrote:from what I read SCART works for all Dreamcast games

That would be incorrect. There are a lot of games that don't work with SCART, particularly Japanese games. Off the top of my head, Rent-A-Hero is one of them.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Post#6 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:43 am

Yeah unfortunately there isn't 100% compatibility, particularly with NTSC-U and NTSC-J games. Apparently most PAL games are supported though.

RetroRGB highlights this thread as a useful resource for which aren't compatible:
https://bordersdown.net/threads/11538-W ... compatible

killer-elite
blackout!

Post#7 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:19 pm

OlivusPrime wrote:Yeah unfortunately there isn't 100% compatibility, particularly with NTSC-U and NTSC-J games. Apparently most PAL games are supported though.

RetroRGB highlights this thread as a useful resource for which aren't compatible:
https://bordersdown.net/threads/11538-W ... compatible

Hmmmmmmm so that 100% game compatibility is only for all PAL games...got it, I'm gonna have to take a look at that list if I ever get a HDTV with SCART I will be a little bit more prepared for what I'm getting into...Thanks for all the info guys, sharing is caring..lol

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#8 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:37 pm

The only things that are compatible with 100% of the games are rf & composite, a bunch of games over the different regions don’t do VGA, other ones don’t do RGB, some do VGA in one region and RGB in another and vice versa (Skies of Arcadia is an example of this: the US one does VGA but not RGB & the PAL one does RGB but not VGA) 100% of all PAL games do RGB though. I’ve been trying to put together a list of this like forever now. I have 138 verified games of both NTSC-U & J region but checking has slowed to a crawl as nobody seems interested in helping out and I only got so many games LoL. I don’t intend to buy filler just for the sake of testing em…
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

gundstaff79
shadow

Post#9 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:30 am

If you want to use RGB through component video on a CRT TV, the cheapest option is to buy a scart/vga to component converter.

xaeroxcore
fire

Post#10 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:49 pm

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/gp/product/B0CQ24QDS3?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

I just bought this one, will be here next week! I´ve read good reviews on Reddit. I will use it on my CRT TV with component input, in which i already use my PS2, GCN, Wii and Xbox with great results.

I´ll let you know how it works once it arrives.

PD: i´m in Colombia, South América, so here Scart is not an option (our TVs doesnt have that input)